Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File/folder permissions issue copying from NAS

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
brianp6621

File/folder permissions issue copying from NAS

Post by brianp6621 »

I am using a Synology NAS as a home shared file server.

I have started using Syncback to copy files from it to a desktop as an onsite backup.

The problem is that basically any file/folder that syncback copies from my NAS to my desktop can not be accessed on the desktop. If I look at the permissions it says it can't display the owner. I have to take ownership of the file on the computer to be able to modify/view it. This also causes syncback to fail when it first copies a new folder with new files in it as once it copies the folder (with the incorrectly created permissions) it can no longer access the folder to copy the files into it.

What am I doing wrong? This seems likely to be a syncback issue/setting but I've never had this issue copying computer to computer/HD to HD before so I think it is an issue with what permissions get set during the copy from the NAS to the PC.

Help
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: File/folder permissions issue copying from NAS

Post by mmullins_98 »

You might check this from the Help:

https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... not-copied

File and folder permissions are not copied Print
Modified on: Wed, 4 Nov, 2020 at 10:23 AM

To copy file and folder security permissions: modify your profile, enable Expert mode, go to Copy/Delete -> Folders settings page, and tick the 'Copy sub-directory and file security permissions' option. You can then select what security settings to copy.

File & folder permissions will be copied when the file or folder itself is copied. If you also want the file security to be copied if it changes (but not the file itself), and also copy changes to folder security, then go to the Compare Options -> Security settings page and tick the 'Compare file and folder security' option. You must then decide which side's security takes precedence. Do this by going to the Decisions - Files and Decisions - Folders settings pages and choose what to do when the properties of a file or folder change.

See our article for an introduction to NTFS permissions.
brianp6621

Re: File/folder permissions issue copying from NAS

Post by brianp6621 »

Thanks but I already have my profile setup that way.

It seems the issue is actually that my Synology NAS uses the BTFRS file system and syncback won't copy permissions properly from BTFRS even though windows does.

Any ideas how to get around this?