Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Its 2022 and the Insecure FTP Protocol Still Offered

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Sn3akyP3t3
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Its 2022 and the Insecure FTP Protocol Still Offered

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 »

Consider this both a feature request and also notification of a product vulnerability. Continued offering of FTP as a supported file transfer protocol is unwise due to its insecure nature. All major modern browsers have long since stopped offering FTP as an option available out of box because of the risks it poses with continued use. It would be wise for 2BrightSparks to take notice of what is now industry standard and follow the practice of ending use of insecure protocols, despite popularity, with a determined end of life date.

I understand this is going to raise a lot of hairs with those that currently use this feature. If that is the case it would be wise for users to formulate a migration strategy that aligns with the end of life cutoff to a secure transfer protocol such as SFTP.
Muad`Dib

Re: Its 2022 and the Insecure FTP Protocol Still Offered

Post by Muad`Dib »

I sill have to connect to some servers that only offer 'regular' FTP. I don't control the server, so I can only suggest to the people who do control it to consider the security problems. However, until/unless they upgrade the protocol, I'm glad that I at least have the option to use FTP with SB to connect to that server.

About a year ago, FileZilla started warning users about the insecurity of regular FTP whenever you connected to such a server. I think this is a good thing. HOWEVER, there is a checkbox that is supposed to disable such a warning for future connections to that server, but the disabling doesn't work (and the FileZilla developer refuses to fix it)!

So, if 2BS decides to start warning users about FTP's insecurity, make sure the users have a way to NOT to be warned every time they connect (thank you for the warning, now leave me alone)!
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Its 2022 and the Insecure FTP Protocol Still Offered

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.