Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Trouble invoking SyncBackPro from another product

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Trouble invoking SyncBackPro from another product

Post by pokeefe »

I am trying to invoke SyncBackPro from another product - Macrium Reflect - and am experiencing a baffling problem. I have a PowerShell script created by Reflect to perform a Reflect backup and then invoke SyncBackPro. The invoking command is

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro\SyncBackPro.exe" "ProgData Copy" 
The command works fine when invoked from a Windows command prompt or a Powershell window. ThePS script works fins - performs the Reflect backup and then performs the SyncBackPro copy - when executed from an elevated Powershell window. But when the script is executed from the Reflect scheduler SychBack does nothing. (The Reflect backup runs fine.)

Unfortunately there are no footprints left; it's as though sycnBackPro is not executed. I have no idea how to even start debugging this.

I've tried this with Reflect executing the script both under the SYSTEM id (the default behavior) or under my id. No difference.
I've tried both putting the SyncBackPro command in the script, and having the script invoke a .bat file containing the command. Neither works under the Reflect scheduler; both techniques work when the script is invoked from an elevated Powershell window.

How do I get some debugging info from the execution of SyncBackPro.exe? I tried using the "Output debug information" but apparently mere mortals are not allowed to unzip the debug info. What should I try next?

Is there some restriction that prevents SyncBackPro.exe from executing, or executing correctly? Is there something that would prevent a foreground SyncBackPro.exe running under SYSTEM communicating with the background copy of SyncBackPro.exe that runs under my id?
ajs
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Trouble invoking SyncBackPro from another product

Post by ajs »

I am not a user of Macrium Reflect, but this does sound similar to issues I have had when running programs (not necessarily SyncBack) with Windows Task Scheduler. What I tend to do is run the problem with a BAT file like this.

Code: Select all

@ECHO OFF

PUSHD "C:\Users\xxxxxxx"

(
  ECHO "Running SyncBackPro"
  DATE /T
  TIME /T

"C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro\SyncBackPro.exe" "ProgData Copy" 

) >Log.txt 2>&1

POPD
This should create a log.txt file in whatever directory you switched to with PUSHD (obviously you will need to change this to a valid directory on your system). If the BAT file is run then the log file should be created with hopefully some errors to help locate the issue.

Hope this is of help.

Andrew.
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by pokeefe »

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

In the middle of the night I remembered that SyncBackPro's configuration stuff is is my AppData. (I don't know if that's due to something I did wrong or is just the way Syncback does things.) I suspect that the invocation form Reflect does not have access to my AppData.
pokeefe
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by pokeefe »

A little research showed that the AppData location for SyncBackPro profile data is the default but can be changed. So I changed it to a location independent of any userid. I maybe could have used the PUSHD in my script but I don't like having SyncBackPro's successful deployment dependent on my (or anybody else's userid.