Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Conditional Backups?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
bigGuitar
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Conditional Backups?

Post by bigGuitar »

It doesn't seem that you're able to 'backup' files conditionally, such as only if the source file is newer than the same destination file.
In this example scenario:
-I don't want to synchronize, since I don't ever want to overwrite the source.
-I don't want to prompt, since I want the job to run in the background/scheduled.
-I don't want to 'do nothing' since I would want the source to replace the destination based on defined conditions

Otherwise, how to 'backup' source file to destination only under specific conditions as mentioned within a background job scenario. It doesn't seem that the 'Decisions - Files' section covers this type of option.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Conditional Backups?

Post by mmullins_98 »

Unless you have other requirements that you didn't specify, maybe a Mirror profile will fill your needs. It can run unattended in the background/scheduled.

"A mirror copies files in one direction: from the source to the destination. It does delete files that are only in the destination. Like a backup, it will replace files in the destination with newer files from the source and also add files to the destination that are missing."
bigGuitar
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by bigGuitar »

No sorry, mirroring is definitely NOT what I'm looking for.

I did find under the "Compare Options" for "Date Time", to not replace newer files, however the option is grayed out [greyed out].

The documentation only states "This option is only available under certain conditions", but then there is nothing that explains what the conditions would be that could allow this option to be selected.
bigGuitar
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by bigGuitar »

OK, so if the profile is clearly listed as "Backup" and not "Custom" as per "What to do if the same file has been changed on Source and Destination"...

Then the option "Do not replace newer files with older files" is available. It's just not specifying which of the dates is used to determine this. I am hoping the 'newer' date would be based on the other settings on that page, such as to not ignore modification date, but ignore the creation dates, since the creation date can vary depending on when/how the file was copied to a particular location. But I'll do tests.