Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Mirroring from GoogleDrive: How to Exclude Shared-with-me Files/Folders?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
waffles

Mirroring from GoogleDrive: How to Exclude Shared-with-me Files/Folders?

Post by waffles »

As the title says...

I am trying to set up a profile for mirroring my Google Drive content. When I select Google Drive as Cloud service Syncback seems to detect (and to select) not only all of my content (which I want), but any file and or folder that has been shared with me. This also includes content that does not even show up directly under my Google Drive in a browser view. Furthermore it is also not visible via the Google Drive app on my Windows machine.

Is there a general setting/filter where I can have those kind of folder/files excluded? I would not want to go through them one by one and untick the ones that are shared/I do not want.

(As a workaround, I could set up a profile that does a mirroring with the Google Drive app on my Windows machine, but I'd rather go straight to the source, i.e. Cloud.)

TIA!
milesstone

Re: Mirroring from GoogleDrive: How to Exclude Shared-with-me Files/Folders?

Post by milesstone »

waffles wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:02 pm
As the title says...

I am trying to set up a profile for mirroring my Google Drive content. When I select Google Drive as Cloud service Syncback seems to detect (and to select) not only all of my content (which I want), but any file and or folder that has been shared with me. This also includes content that does not even show up directly under my Google Drive in a browser view. Furthermore it is also not visible via the Google Drivegb whatsappapp on my Windows machine.

Is there a general setting/filter where I can have those kind of folder/files excluded? I would not want to go through them one by one and untick the ones that are shared/I do not want.

(As a workaround, I could set up a profile that does a mirroring with the Google Drive app on my Windows machine, but I'd rather go straight to the source, i.e. Cloud.)

TIA!
I borrowed this whole post from official google site and I think it is helpful for you
Find files shared with you in Drive
You can look up the files that others have shared with you in Google Drive. You can also delete them from your Drive.

What you can see in "Shared with me"
Files shared with you.
Folders shared with you.
Files shared with a link that you have opened.
Starting with the most recent file that was shared with you, you’ll see:

The date the file was shared with you.
The owner of the file.
The document type.
Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad
Add shortcuts to Drive files shared with you
If you want to organize shared files, add a shortcut to them. You can put the shortcut inside your "My Drive" or any Drive that’s shared with you.

Go to drive.google.com.
On the left, click Shared with me.
Select the files or folders to which you want to add a shortcut.
Right click the files or folders you selected and then Add shortcut to Drive.
Choose a folder.
Click Add shortcut.
Remove files or folders that people have shared with you
If someone shared a file or folder with you that you don't want to see anymore, you can remove it.

Go to drive.google.com.
Right click the file you want to remove.
Click Remove.
Note: You can’t remove files stored in shared drives.

After you remove files that people have shared with you
If you open a file you’ve removed, it will show up in "Shared with me" again.
Files you’ve removed may show up in Drive search results.
If the file is spam or abusive content, you can report it.
waffles

Post by waffles »

Thank you, @milestone, this helps.

It would be nice though to have a switch within SyncbackPro to select/deselect Shared Files/Folders, rather then having them to remove them (for good) in GoogleDrive. => is such a switch already there or could this be a feature request to the 2BrightSparks Team? TIA!
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

You can select/deselect files/folders from Modify profile > Simple > Choose sub-directories and files settings page. If file/folder selections (or filters) are used then please un-tick the option "Retrieve a list of all the files and folders then filter" under Modify > Expert > Cloud > Advanced settings page to reduce the scan time.

Thank you.
waffles

Post by waffles »

Hello Swapna,

thanks for your reply. I believe you are referring to what I tried to explain in my initial post. To me this another workaround. What I would really like to see is an option (checkbox) to globally either include or exclude those Shared Files/Folders. This way I do not have to make sure that all the individual check marks are still valid and complete between backups to attribute for any changes(, e.g. additions) that were made to the shared files/folders.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will pass your request on to our development department for their review and consideration.

Thank you.
waffles

Post by waffles »

Much appreciated, thank you!
jamssyyy

Post by jamssyyy »

waffles wrote:
As the title says...

I am trying to set up a profile for mirroring my Google Drive content. When I select Google Drive as Cloud service Syncback seems to detect (and to select) not only all of my content (which I want), but any file and or folder that has been shared with me. This also includes content that does not even show up directly under my Google Drive in a browser view. Furthermore it is also not visible via the Google Drive app on my Windows machine.

TIA!
To exclude unwanted files and folders, you can try setting up a filter in Syncback. In the profile settings, go to the "Filters" tab and create a new filter. In the filter settings, you can specify certain file types or folder names to exclude. For example, you might exclude any files or folders that contain the word "shared".

Alternatively, you can try changing the settings in your Google Drive account to remove the shared files and folders from your view. In Google Drive, go to "Settings" and uncheck the option to "Show files and folders in 'Shared with me'". This should remove any shared content from your view, and Syncback should only show the files and folders that are directly in your Google Drive.
john006

Post by john006 »

milesstone wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:29 am
waffles wrote:
As the title says...

I am trying to set up a profile for mirroring my Google Drive content. When I select Google Drive as Cloud service Syncback seems to detect (and to select) not only all of my content (which I want), but any file and or folder that has been shared with me. This also includes content that does not even show up directly under my Google Drive in a browser view. Furthermore it is also not visible via the Google Drive app https://fmwhat.download/ on my Windows machine.

TIA!
I borrowed this whole post from official google site and I think it is helpful for you
Find files shared with you in Drive
You can look up the files that others have shared with you in Google Drive. You can also delete them from your Drive.

What you can see in "Shared with me"
Files shared with you.
Folders shared with you.
Files shared with a link that you have opened.
Starting with the most recent file that was shared with you, you’ll see:

The date the file was shared with you.
The owner of the file.
The document type.
Computer AndroidiPhone & iPad
Add shortcuts to Drive files shared with you
If you want to organize shared files, add a shortcut to them. You can put the shortcut inside your "My Drive" or any Drive that’s shared with you.

Go to drive.google.com.
Select the files or folders to which you want to add a shortcut.
Right click the files or folders you selected and then Add shortcut to Drive.
Choose a folder.
Click Add shortcut.
Remove files or folders that people have shared with you
If someone shared a file or folder with you that you don't want to see anymore, you can remove it.

Go to drive.google.com.
Right click the file you want to remove.
Click Remove.
Note: You can’t remove files stored in shared drives.

After you remove files that people have shared with you
If you open a file you’ve removed, it will show up in "Shared with me" again.
Files you’ve removed may show up in Drive search results.
If the file is spam or abusive content, you can report it.
In SyncBack, go to the profile you've set up for mirroring your Google Drive content. Once there, locate the profile settings or options menu.
Look for the section that deals with file and folder exclusion filters. SyncBack provides robust customization options, and exclusion filters are your key to refining the synchronization process.
Craft exclusion filters using wildcards and keywords that match the characteristics of shared files and folders. For example, you might exclude files or folders shared with you by using the filter: *shared* or *shared by others*.
After applying the exclusion filters, perform a test synchronization to ensure that the shared files and folders are indeed excluded. Refine your filters as needed until you achieve the desired result.

As your shared files and folders may change over time, it's advisable to regularly review and update your exclusion filters. This ensures that any new shared content is appropriately excluded from the synchronization process.
While SyncBack provides powerful customization options, also explore the settings within your Google Drive account. Ensure that the shared files and folders you wish to exclude are appropriately configured in your Google Drive settings.