Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Block level file synchronization

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
mozerd

Block level file synchronization

Post by mozerd »

I am interested to know if SyncBackPro will be implementing Block level file synchronization into its feature set.

I see that a competitor to SyncBackPro just released their product called GoodSync version 9 that incorporates Block level file synchronization --- this does make a huge diferrence in providing faster and more efficient synchronization --- consider PST files for example.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Block level file synchronization

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, people have already suggested it. All I can tell you is, it's on the list

(BTW please don't help our competitors by posting links to their sites on our forum :) - I've removed the link but left the text)
Radjin

Post by Radjin »

I would like to add my support for any type of sync that can speed up the syncing of very large files. I have critical PST files that need daily or even hourly backup and the backups to our remote server take as much as two hours to do just for one PST file.
fbungartz

Post by fbungartz »

Hi,
I see that this question is already quite old, it dates back to January 2012. I am still using SyncBack 6 and would like to know if by now block-syncing has in the meantime perhaps been implemented?
Does version 7 now support block-syncing?
I love SyncBack and have relied on the pro version for years, but would have to invest another US$54.95 now for the upgrade. I have many relaitively few large filesand one that is gigantic. For syncing and backing up these files using SyncBack now takes a significant amount of time. I am quite impressed by the time saved by the trial version of the program that supports block syncing. That program costs only about half of what you charge. Still, I have had such a good track record using SyncBack for many, many years that I would consider keeping it and even upgrading - if the new version 7 also supports block syncing!
Using SyncBack since version 3 it has never failed me and has been extremely reliable. That is the main reason why I would be willing to pay a higher premium, but I have one particularly large database (>30 GB), where block-syncing would be an enormous time saver...
Thanks,
Frank
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

fbungartz wrote:Hi,
I see that this question is already quite old, it dates back to January 2012. I am still using SyncBack 6 and would like to know if by now block-syncing has in the meantime perhaps been implemented?
Does version 7 now support block-syncing?
I love SyncBack and have relied on the pro version for years, but would have to invest another US$54.95 now for the upgrade. I have many relaitively few large filesand one that is gigantic. For syncing and backing up these files using SyncBack now takes a significant amount of time. I am quite impressed by the time saved by the trial version of the program that supports block syncing. That program costs only about half of what you charge. Still, I have had such a good track record using SyncBack for many, many years that I would consider keeping it and even upgrading - if the new version 7 also supports block syncing!
Using SyncBack since version 3 it has never failed me and has been extremely reliable. That is the main reason why I would be willing to pay a higher premium, but I have one particularly large database (>30 GB), where block-syncing would be an enormous time saver...
Thanks,
Frank
Hi,

Block-syncing, as you call it, is still in the to-do list. Unfortunately there is no set date for when it will become available :)

As for upgrading to V7, an upgrade from V6 license would cost only US$20. The key word is license since some users may be using V6 but hold a V5 license because they received a free upgrade to V6.

You can see the full upgrade cost here: http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... 7-upgrades

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
fbungartz

Post by fbungartz »

Hi Kostas,
any idea when block-syncing will be implemented then. It seems likely that it never will be, since it has been on your to do list more than two years now... :(
I have a valid license for version 6 Pro that was an upgrade from SE. Entering my serial online (copy - fast from Help - About) at your update/upgrade check tells me I need to purchase a full version. I too thought that was odd. So perhaps your update check doesn't work properly?
Thanks,
Frank
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Kostas »

fbungartz wrote:Hi Kostas,
any idea when block-syncing will be implemented then. It seems likely that it never will be, since it has been on your to do list more than two years now... :(
I have a valid license for version 6 Pro that was an upgrade from SE. Entering my serial online (copy - fast from Help - About) at your update/upgrade check tells me I need to purchase a full version. I too thought that was odd. So perhaps your update check doesn't work properly?
Thanks,
Frank
The update check works fine, it is just that the serial number is not fully displayed in V6 Help > About, so you cannot use that. If you don't have the full serial number from the purchase order email then I would suggest contacting [email protected] and provide the partial serial number from the Help > About so we can locate your order and provide you with the full serial number.

As for the block-syncing, I wish I had an answer for you :) It's a matter of priorities and other factors.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]
sbbots

Post by sbbots »

+1 for this feature. Actually +10000.

We just paid over $300 for a license from ([vendor name redacted]) so that we could use delta sync between a Windows file server and a remote NAS over the internet. It makes a HUGE difference when backing up large files (AutoCAD files in our case). I know it will probably require a complete rewrite of the software and a LOT of work on your part, but you can sell it as an Enterprise version at a huge premium over the SE and Pro versions. If you charged similar or less then Goodsync with the stability and reliability of Syncback you would have a ton of new customers IMO.
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung »

sbbots wrote:+1 for this feature. Actually +10000.

We just paid over $300 for a license from Goodsync so that we could use delta sync between a Windows file server and a remote NAS over the internet. It makes a HUGE difference when backing up large files (AutoCAD files in our case). I know it will probably require a complete rewrite of the software and a LOT of work on your part, but you can sell it as an Enterprise version at a huge premium over the SE and Pro versions. If you charged similar or less then Goodsync with the stability and reliability of Syncback you would have a ton of new customers IMO.
Hi, sorry but as Kostas said, it's on our To-Do list but it's not a simple feature that can be implemented overnight. We will keep everyone informed if anything changes.
andrew.tuline

Post by andrew.tuline »

Have been a long time user of the free version at home (and SE at work) and am wanting to purchase SE or Pro in order to support incremental (or differential) backups. The challenge, is that I have several VirtualBox VM's (virtual machines). The smallest of these is a 1GB file (that will dynamically expand as required). Without block level support, this is pretty well a non-starter as the incremental backups would take huge amounts of disk space. Then of course, there's Microsoft Outlook's .pst file.
fbungartz

Post by fbungartz »

ANY news on this? Any chance of getting this implemented?
Competitor products like GoodSync already support block-level syncing, but having used SyncBack for many years I got really fond of it and would hate to have to make a switch only because a novel, much more efficient way of syncing files is not being implemented.
Reading through the changes from version 6 to 7 it seems hardly anything has happened. Block-level sync could really be a big step, I think with the chance to win over a lot more customers.

Strangely enough 2BrightSparks already (!!!) offers the freeware PatchOnClick that allows users to manually create small patches of to update large files without having to send them over a network. If you already developed that technology, why not package it up so that it simply works with SyncBack too??? That would really be a breakthrough!
mike.c.carroll
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by mike.c.carroll »

Hello,

I would also welcome the addition of block-level synchronization. This is the one feature missing that stops me from buying more licenses. I would even pay more for the software for this added feature. As others have mentioned; without this for feature for syncing of Outlook & virtual machines files this is pretty much a show stopper. I've used the other backup / replication products mentioned in the above responses and their software is good but I really like the feature set, user interface of SyncBack Pro. To me; this would be worth it even if the software was $ 100 per license. It's that important to me. I've been using SyncBack SE & Pro since version 5

Thank you for your consideration.

-Mike
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. This feature is already in our To-Do list, but there is no ETA on when it will be available. However, I will pass this again to our Development team for their consideration and will keep you posted once we have further information.

Thank you.
fbungartz

Post by fbungartz »

Not to be cynical, but have a look at the first response to this topic on Wed, January 4, 2012. So, it has been on the to do list now without an ETA for more than three years now!
Too bad...
metal450
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by metal450 »

People have been asking for this for *way* longer than three years. Like...here's one from over nine years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4473

I brought this to their attention back in 2013, at which point I actually sent them forum threads of people asking for it as far back as 2004. Those threads now seem to be gone/deleted. So...I don't really have much hope anymore :(