Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and CD/DVD burning

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and CD/DVD burning

Post by mickyj »

SyncBackPro works as expected with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 with one caveat: you will not be able to use the CD/DVD burning, or ISO creation, features unless you run SyncBackPro in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

We have a KB article that goes into more detail:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index ... rticle=481
DanRasch

Re: Windows 8 and CD/DVD burning

Post by DanRasch »

I sent the below message to customer service before realizing there was a forum.

I use Windows 8. You mentioned in the "SyncBackPro CD-DVD Burning and Windows 8" article that you wanted to hear feedback on DVD burning and its use on a consumer level. It seems to me that DVD is still viable for backups today at the consumer level. Yes, HDDs are larger and faster, but I follow the backup motto 3-2-1 ... At least 3 backups across at least 2 different storage mediums with at least 1 off-site. The key here is the 2 different storage mediums. Due to speed and size, I assume every user's first backup is on a HDD. For 2nd and 3rd backups:

HDDs:
-- Same storage medium so same exposure to failure modes (bad)
-- Large capacity
-- Fastest backup speed
-- Private (unlike cloud storage)

Cloud Storage:
-- Very slow due to internet connection speed, but incremental backups improve this drastically
-- A large data push or pull could take extremely long time if user's ISP throttles after so much usage
-- A large data push or pull could exceed user's monthly data cap from their ISP
-- Not private - security risk of allowing 3rd party access to confidential data
-- Extremely convenient (can be automated)
-- More expensive than Blu-Ray/DVD

Flash memory (SD card, Micro-SD card, USB thumbdrives):
-- Least reliable backup medium

Tape:
-- Too expensive for consumer level

Blu-Ray:
-- Different storage medium from HDDs
-- Burner and discs are slightly cost prohibitive - more than several years' worth of DVD backups if the backup size is <= 100 GB
-- Speed and capacity is better than DVD
---- I think DVDs will be phased out by Blu-Rays for my backups in the future, but we're not there yet due to cost

DVDs:
-- Different storage medium from HDDs
-- Low cost
-- High prevalence of readers
-- Time spent backing up (due to slow write speed and manual disc swapping) is painful, but tolerable if the user's backup is small enough and/or infrequent enough.
---- I backup <= 100 GB only once every 90 days, so it is tolerable.

Therefore, I conclude that DVDs are still a viable backup solution, for a few more years even, due to price advantage over Blu-Ray. That said, it appears that SyncBackPro's burning problem applies to Blu-Rays and DVDs equally, since it is the burning process that requires the Windows 7 compatibility and not the destination media. Therefore, I request that SyncBackPro support disc burning for years to come, as I plan to use DVDs now and Blu-Rays in the future.

If you have differing suggestions, I would love to hear them.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Hi, and thanks for your feedback, which has been duly added to those received previously on the subject. Other users are welcome to add their opinions ether way.
jbrodak

Post by jbrodak »

ahh..........thats the solution..ech windows 8 is bad..need back to windows 7
sambartle

Post by sambartle »

I have to admit that I'm a relatively new paying customer, who has used free for years..

My big problem here is the option still being in the menu on Windows 8 in SyncBackPro.. had it not been there i'd have never known about the feature and we could have all continued along happily! (I went to configure it when I saw it this morning for the first time)

Now I have seen it then yes I think it would be great to be able to burn to DVD or BluRay.

Its handy for a number of reasons not least it gives me an easy way to end up with a backup of something I can give to someone else wihtout them having access to everything else I backup.
astropuppy

Post by astropuppy »

While magnetic media is great for large backups, it is suspectable to outside corruption; Magnets, extreme hot/cold, hardware failures etc. I look at CD/DVD/BlueRay as archival media. ie Once a year a burn a disk of family photo's and video.

That said unless the software is capable of spanning disks, it is worthless to me. There are many freeware applications for my needs.

I own Pro.
spiceagent11

Re: Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and CD/DVD burning

Post by spiceagent11 »

My big problem here is the option still being in the menu on Windows 8 in SyncBackPro.. had it not been there i'd have never known about the feature and we could have all continued along happily! (I went to configure it when I saw it this morning for the first time)
spiceagent11

Post by spiceagent11 »

spiceagent11 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 pm
No reply......?
ford92925

Post by ford92925 »

Yes, HDDs are larger and faster, but I follow the backup motto 3-2-1 ... At least 3 backups across at least 2 different storage mediums with at least 1 off-site. The key here is the 2 different storage mediums. Due to speed and size, I assume every user's first backup is on a HDD. For 2nd and 3rd backups...
RobNC

Post by RobNC »

mickyj wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am

http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.php?action=kb&article=481
This link no longer works, not sure if there's an update?
RobNC

Post by RobNC »

RobNC wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:48 am
mickyj wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am
http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index.php?action=kb&article=481
This link no longer works, not sure if there's an update?
Just to save anyone else from thinking this, the DVD/CD burning spanning, etc. support was removed some time ago. Only option would be to output to files then manually burn these files to DVD/CD/BD-R discs.