Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Windows 10 C: drive backup

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Risible

Windows 10 C: drive backup

Post by Risible »

First, just want to say thanks to 2BrightSparks. I've been using Syncback SE for so long and what I love about it is the fact that it just works and I never have to think about it. I just checked my records and apparently I've been buying it since 2010, so it's been a while :).

I never back up my main drive (Windows 10, c:) because all of my data is stored on other drives and should anything happen I can just re-install Windows, pain that that may be. However, I'm in a situation where I have an extra NVME drive sitting in my PC unused, so why not backup C: so that I could hot-swap should the need arise?

The question I have is: can Syncback SE backup my C: drive, despite it being "live" in the sense that the operating system is on it? I don't want to have to shut down the PC or anything to do it, but was wondering if I could run an overnight backup to mirror my current C: onto the extra NVME drive without doing anything funky.

Thanks for the great product!
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Windows 10 C: drive backup

Post by mmullins_98 »

From: https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... g-software

Disk Imaging Software
Modified on: Tue, 5 Oct, 2021 at 7:40 PM

Looking for Disk Imaging Software that can copy entire hard drives. Can SyncBack make an exact copy of my hard drive?

SyncBack can generally copy all files you have access to (usually including open/locked files if you are using SyncBackSE or SyncBackPro), but cannot make an exact copy of your drive. SyncBack is designed to copy your important files, e. g. your pictures, documents, music, etc. You can always reinstall the operating system and any programs, but you cannot recover your files unless you've made a backup. With SyncBack making a backup of those files is very quick and easy.

To make an exact copy of your drive you must use "disk imaging" software. With disk imaging, the entire disk (the parts that are used) is copied bit-by-bit. This means the copy will take up a lot of disk space, and take much longer to copy.

Your Windows operating environment is constantly changing. Programs are installed, updated, uninstalled, and settings are changed. Many important security specific applications are also regularly and automatically updated. Anyone who users their computer to connect to the Internet should have in place Anti-Virus, Firewall, and Anti-Spyware programs, all now available from within the Windows operating system. These issues, combined with the much longer, costlier (more disks), and less convenient (more time consuming) disk imaging process inevitably means that for the average user, disk imaging is carried out far less frequently than the kind of backup SyncBack delivers.

Because disk imaging makes an exact copy of your original drive it also means that any virus or malware infection on the original drive (as well as any other problem) will also be there in the backup image. When you restore from that image then you'll be reinfected and have the same problems.

SyncBack copies all your important files in a fast, up to date, and reliable manner. Windows and programs can be reinstalled, your data files cannot.
Risible

Re: Windows 10 C: drive backup

Post by Risible »

Awesome, thanks for the swift reply. I appreciate it.