Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Handling of "The profile is already running or is due to run"

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
jag11300

Handling of "The profile is already running or is due to run"

Post by jag11300 »

Hello!

I am hoping there’s a super simple way to do what I ask below, and I just can’t locate it. I have tried searching this forum. However, it appears you cannot search for a specific phrase by wrapping it in quotes. Because of this, my search returns pages and pages of unhelpful results. So, please forgive me if this specific question has already been asked and answered.

Question: Within a profile (not within Task Scheduler), is there a way to prevent it from running, or even allow it to fail silently, if it is already running or due to run?

Scenario:
  • Profile 1 mirrors files from Drive A to Drive B.
  • Profile 2 syncs files between Drive C and Drive D.
  • Profile 1 is assigned to Group Automated and Group Manual.
  • Profile 2 is only assigned to Group Manual (the group contains all document-related profiles).
  • During business hours, Group Automated is scheduled to run every 5 minutes. Keep in mind it is the group that’s scheduled, not an individual profile.
Today, I manually ran Group Manual during business hours. Because it takes several minutes for Group Manual to complete, all profiles in Group Automated which also exist in Group Manual were aborted with the error “The profile is already running or is due to run” whenever they were automatically executed. My Inbox was flooded with error emails as Group Automated was triggered more than once.

So, I would like to know if there’s a setting within a profile (again, not within Task Scheduler) that will prevent it from running if it’s already running or due to run. I’d also be perfectly content if I could learn how to force this specific error to fail silently.

In an effort to be respectful of everyone’s time (mine included), I want to be clear that I’m not looking for any ‘work around’ suggestions, nor a discussion on best practices. I am already aware of alternative options that would prevent the occurrence of this issue. However, those options all have their flaws. So, I ask that you kindly resist the temptation to go down that path and please focus solely on the question I’ve asked. 😉

Thank you for your time!
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Handling of "The profile is already running or is due to run"

Post by mmullins_98 »

Gee, I'm not sure this is what you want? It seems to me your best shot may be to stop one or both of the groups when any profile in the group fails. Thus preventing your inbox being flooded with these error emails.

If you don't know where this option is then select a group and choose Modify then check the box "Stop the group if any profile fails". Again, since we don't know the other problems of stopping which or both groups then that is up to you.

I'll refrain from being sarcastic or rude and wish you good luck with this option.
jag11300

Re: Handling of "The profile is already running or is due to run"

Post by jag11300 »

Hi, mmullins_98:

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond.

As far as whether the behavior I described in my initial post is what I really want, I can easily confirm that it is. None of the profiles within Group Automated are dependent upon one another. They all have completely different sources and destinations. So, if one fails (whether due to a legitimate failure or because of the ‘running or due to run’ error), I still want SyncBack to proceed to the next profile in the group and attempt to run it.

If I choose to go the route you suggest (even though it doesn’t fully meet my needs), I’m still bombarded with emails. The ‘running or due to run’ error is considered an Aborted run; and Aborted runs are considered failures (at least by default); thus, an email is still sent for each one. I tested it today to confirm that this is the behavior.

So, to rephrase my original question: is there a way to specify that Aborted runs should fail silently?