Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Versioning and rolling back folders to a point in time

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
RobinG

Versioning and rolling back folders to a point in time

Post by RobinG »

I'm a working photographer so deal with thousands of image files at a time. I have a folder on my work drive which contains the current project I'm editing. New files of various types get created, deleted, renamed at various points. We're dealing with image files, editing software database and associated files. In short - it's a 'busy' folder with lots going on. I have Syncback set up to back up (not mirror) this folder regularly (every 30 minutes) using versioning on the destination only. All good so far.

However when it comes to *restoring* I'm a little bit unsure of what's going on or how to achieve what I'm after.

I was hoping that I'd be able to restore the entire 'work in progress' folder (or one of its subfolders) back to a particular point in time using the Rollback feature, however it doesn't seem to work like in the way I want.

In short, what's happening is that when a restore is started, it will (attempt to) bring back every file that's ever been created in the folder at the times Syncback ran. Temporary files that were deleted hours prior will be brought back. Files that have been renamed come back as two or more versions (depending on how many times it was renamed). So rather than have a restored version of that folder from a particular point in time, I basically end up with a bit of a mess.

Is there any way to achieve the result I'm after?