Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Deleting files/folders on FTP-server don't work

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
afarensis

Deleting files/folders on FTP-server don't work

Post by afarensis »

Hello,

I try after copying folder and files from an ftp server to a local drive/folder on my pc (which are going well) automatically delete the copied files and folders on the ftp server, but it don’t work. I work with SyncBackSE and Windows 10

Would someone give me please help/advice

Excuse my ‘bad’ English

George
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Deleting files/folders on FTP-server don't work

Post by cliffhanger »

Which version number (x.x.x.x) of SE are you using?

Are there any error messages in the log? (If so, please copy/paste details here, or supply screenshot). Make sure you include the path/name info also.

Which settings are you using (that you think should achieve this)? Hint: switch SE interface to English, go to the Simple settings page and copy/paste the Description box contents into your reply - this should indicate most of them. If you are using any special settings that you feel the pasted info does not include (or imply), give additional details (manually, or screenshot/s0. Try to use the English wording of any settings you describe.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Thank you very much for you quick reply...

Version is 7.6.18.0 (the latest in Dutch)

There are no error massages or special settings

I have copy/paste the description as attachement. I have further no additional info...

Thank you.

Kind regards George (from Holland)
SyncBack info.JPG
SyncBack info.JPG (96.32 KiB) Viewed 12817 times
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, that all looks good to me, so I have a bad feeling that SE may be issuing DELE commands (after successful Copy, to achieve the Move aspect of SE's logic) and the FTP server is simply ignoring them. Why that might occur is not obvious, although the FTP service supplied by some site hosts can be buggy if asked to handle more than basic upload/download. Or, there might be a privileges issue on the FTP side (RW, but no 'delete', maybe), but if so, I would expect an error message to be sent back to SE for each attempt (though absence of err msg could be another bug...)

It is also of course possible that the server is issuing acknowledgements, but not actually performing those commands (or, it tries, but hits an internal error that does not filter back through). You could try the Test FTP Settings button on the FTP settings page, as the test routine includes two DELE commands (note that one is designed to fail - see example below). You should see (near the middle of the test - it uses random SafeCopy test file names, so YMMV) something like this >>>

DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: STOR SBSE____.QDA
[...transfer details & date-stamping checks are logged...]
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: RNFR SBSE____.QDA
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: 350 RNFR accepted - file exists, ready for destination
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: RNTO SBSE____.TMQ
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: 250 File successfully renamed or moved
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: DELE SBSE____.QDA << this file should not now exist, so next command should error
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: 550 Could not delete SBSE____.QDA: No such file or directory << expected...
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: DELE SBSE____.TMQ << this is the renamed file, so this command should work >>
DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: 250 Deleted SBSE____.TMQ

If you get the same '250 Deleted filename .ext' response (or equivalent) to the 2nd DELE command, all I can suggest then is submit a Support Zip with debug-out to 2BS (suggest also give them a link to this thread for continuity), and they can then check in the debug info if SE is sending DELE commands (it obviously needs to be a Support Zip where the most-recent run should have tried to delete something FTP-side). If SE is sending DELE commands, and the server is claiming it did so (but you claim it does not), i guess that's something you may need to take up with the website admins (or author, whatever).

See here for background/further info about how to do generate/submit a suitable Support Zip. Ignore the reference to Pro version - same process applies for SE.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

DD/MM/YYYY hh:mm:ss: DELE SBSE____.QDA << this file should not now exist, so next command should error
More accurately, "this file should not now exist, so next event should be an error". Apologies for any confusion.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Hello,

Thank you very much again for your long and clear story. I'll send you hereby a partial logging of the test. I see, however, differences with your logging, but it is too difficult for me to know what it means.

6-7-2016 19:27:09: 226 Transfer complete
16-7-2016 19:27:09: MFMT 20160716172709 SBSE____.76H
16-7-2016 19:27:09: 213 Modify=20160716172709; SBSE____.76H
16-7-2016 19:27:09: RNFR SBSE____.76H
16-7-2016 19:27:09: 350 File or directory exists, ready for destination name
16-7-2016 19:27:09: RNTO SBSE____.TMQ
16-7-2016 19:27:09: 250 Rename successful
16-7-2016 19:27:09: DELE SBSE____.76H
16-7-2016 19:27:09: 550 SBSE____.76H: No such file or directory
16-7-2016 19:27:09: DELE SBSE____.TMQ
16-7-2016 19:27:09: 250 DELE command successful
16-7-2016 19:27:09:
16-7-2016 19:27:09: Features supported by FTP server:
16-7-2016 19:27:09:

And I haven’t such text as below. No indication. QDA? Instead .TMQ
DELE SBSE____.QDA << this file should not now exist, so next command should error
this file should not now exist, so next event should be an error". Apologies for any confusion.

Excuse my pour English
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, the first test file created by the STOR command (in any FTP test) will be named SBSE____.??? - where ??? are random alphanumeric characters. The test to rename that first random file-name (to something else) tries to set the name to a different fixed target name (SBSE____.TMQ - I don't know why for sure). It is therefore perfectly normal that the file your test creates would use a different extension to mine, but it is also normal for it to then try to rename it to SBSE____.TMQ (same target name as mine).

Those results suggest the FTP server is apparently working. However, so is SE (for me, at least). I just 'borrowed' an FTP server, manually placed a file on the server (only), then tried a profile set to Move an FTP-only file to local disk. It worked perfectly (SE did a Copy to local followed by a Delete on FTP).

So, it is a bit of a mystery. I regret I am not able to investigate further without more information, some of which is not suitable to post on an open forum.

I can only suggest you send 2BS a Support Zip with debug info of a run that failed to delete an example file. I suggest you also supply them with a screenshot (clearly showing the path) that lists the example file you discovered is still there. They may be able to see something in the debug info (and/or, your profile) that is relevant. See the link I gave you previously (and the on-linked KB article) for details.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Thanks for your additional info.

I'm still experimenting, but I can't solved it. I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week and after that I will ask for a ticket.

Thanks again for the trouble you have taken to help me.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Hello,

Hi, I still have experimented with the settings, and after a long search It works now fine. Files are on the planning time (once a week) moved to the PC and on the FTP server, they are neatly removed including the empty folders.

See attachment....

Again thank you for your support
print SyncBack.JPG
print SyncBack.JPG (74.8 KiB) Viewed 12545 times
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, if you copy settings here for others to review, please either change the SB UI to English before you take a screenshot, or copy/paste the raw Dutch text (that is, the Description box contents) instead, so that others have a chance to use a translation service...

Anyway, mystery is now solved....it appears the setting you quoted initially
If the same file has been changed on both Bestemming and FTP then the file on Bestemming will replace the file on FTP
was not actually what you wanted, as you have now replaced it with
If the same file has been changed on both Bestemming and FTP then the file on FTP will replace the file on Bestemming
That's fine, and makes good sense, but I did not know you did not want the opposite behavior that the original setting you quoted would produce (I have seen many examples of people wanting a 'master' copy held locally on a PC to replace any files on FTP that have been changed, for security reasons - so I assumed this was what you wanted).

The only setting you originally quoted that involved file traffic from FTP to Bestemming was
Files only on FTP are moved to Bestemming
which is was what I was testing (whether the 'delete' stage of the Move worked), and which worked fine for me (I guess it would have also worked fine for you if the 'exists on FTP only' situation had arisen). I did not realise the issue was that one of the other settings you quoted (thus, implying 'your preference') was actually the opposite of the outcome you wanted. Now I know it is, the fact it now works for you after you corrected that rule makes perfect sense ;). Glad to hear all is solved.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Hi,

Excuse the Dutch texts in the printscreen. I was simply forgotten. I think the misunderstanding is due to my lack of knowledge of the English language. Sorry.

Again, thank you very much again for the extensive response. Am very happy with it.
afarensis

Post by afarensis »

Sorry, little late, but hereby the English version
print SyncBack.E.JPG
print SyncBack.E.JPG (100.5 KiB) Viewed 12453 times