Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Timeout in profil execution

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Amyco

Timeout in profil execution

Post by Amyco »

I use a simple profile SyncBackSE V7.6.28.0 to backup data on a NAS conect on my LAN Box.
When running the profile the NAS is sometimes asleep and waking may be longer than the timeout of profile.
This results in a failure of the operation. I have to restart it (sometimes twice).

Is it possible to set (increase) the waiting time during the execution of profile?

Regards
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Timeout in profil execution

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, there's a delay setting ('Pause for [x] seconds...') on

Modify profile -> Expert mode -> Misc settings page

Problem is, this will likely only help if the situation changes by itself - for example, c/o your PC completing any pending network initialization in the meantime (that is, during the Pause) - for example, on Windows start-up, when a profile is triggered before Windows has completed the necessary network loin-girding. In a situation where an external device is sleeping, and it is the profile's attempts to reach it that eventually wakes it up, all this Pause setting may do is make it take longer before it tries (to reach the NAS), and the 'profile gives up before NAS wakes' syndrome will likely still apply, because the 'attempts to reach' happen after the Pause (IIRC) anyway.

There are however (or used to be, anyhow) some hidden global MaxNetworkRecons and MaxSleep settings that you can add to your SETTINGS.INI file

http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... =16&t=9668

Note: there have been some changes to the UI since 2012, so the hyperlink in Preferences (main UI menu) -> Options -> Expert tab is now in section 2 of 4 (counting from top). Clicking the hyperlink still works as described, by opening the exact location of SETTINGS.INI in Explorer (but doesn't open the file - you must do that yourself after closing SB * ). There is now also an Open button to the right of the box, which will open Explorer windows into all 3 possible locations (in case you might want to cut from one location and paste into another, for example). If you use this, and the last window to open (thus, 'uppermost') doesn't contain SETTINGS.INI, this can cause confusion if you don't realise there are 2 other Explorer windows open underneath. Moral: click the hyperlink (only) for an easy life...

Finally, remember the settings mentioned in the linked thread are global, and will affect all network connections SB initiates

* the exhortation in the linked thread to close SB before you try to do any editing (before you even open SETTINGS.INI) is vital. If you make any edits while SB is running, then it will take no notice (it has a copy in memory) and when you do close SB, it will re-save the settings in memory to disk (overwriting your edits #-o ). Moral: make sure SB is closed before you edit, and save your changes to disk before you open SB again.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

PS: there may be a less elegant workaround, which is to go to

Modify -> Expert -> Programs - Before

and check top box / add a PING command in the command-box to call the NAS for [your guess how long it needs to wake up] using syntax

PING 123.234.123.234 /n 60

substituting real IP* of NAS in the obvious place and your guess re the number of PINGS to try (my example uses '60', which will PING for roughly 1 minute)

You should set the profile to wait for the command (PING) to complete before the profile carries on executing (checkbox immediately below the command box). F1 with Programs-Before page open for contextual Help...

* or, the NAS server-name - but if your PC's name-resolution is not fully set up yet, the first few PINGs to the Name may not successfully reach the NAS, possibly skewing your timings
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

(Actually, you may need fewer PINGS if the NAS doesn't reply to start with, given that each iteration where the NAS does not respond will take longer before timing-out than an iteration that gets a response. The roughly 'one-per-second' iteration frequency I was getting was with a resource that responded immediately every time, which your NAS obviously may not.)
Amyco

Post by Amyco »

Cliffhanger thank you for your detailed reply.

I implemented the solution before the PING:
- PING window appears (not very pretty!) Should be able to hide,
- Can we stop the program when the NAS responded?
- I can not set a maximum time (perhaps on the Pro version?).

Best regards
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

I don't think there is a way by which any process can call a command-line statement without Windows briefly opening a Command Prompt window for the duration of that command, though you could Google for that (anyone who knows better, feel free to join in). SB is not monitoring what the called process (PING) is doing; it only (optionally) waits-for/responds-to the simple/single return value the command generates when it eventually completes, and there is no way that I am aware of with the PING command to tell it to stop as soon as it gets a reply. However, PING continuing after the NAS responds will do no actual harm (it may steal a tiny bit of bandwidth until it ends, but on a LAN that should have negligible effect on the throughput). You can experiment with the number of times the PING is repeated, once you get an idea of how many PINGs it requires to wake your NAS.

I did say this was a 'less elegant' workaround...
Amyco

Post by Amyco »

Ok, thank you for your answers.

Best regards