Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Versioning

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
mouse

Versioning

Post by mouse »

I have just installed SE and read through the help files. After setting up the first few profiles (full backup) that went well, I created a test profile to delve deeper. My intention is to have a number of backups using Versioning but somehow I have not quite understood how this works in SE.

I am used to Cobian that just created a number of backups with time stamps, so if I wanted to keep 5 weeks of backups I would set this up accordingly. I would end up with 5 full backups, clearly marked by their individual time stamps and once I hit week six, the oldest gets deleted. All of these backups with their folders and files can be seen via explorer in the destination drive.

In SE Versioning is obviously quite different and despite having read the help file a few times, I am confused. I set up my test profile with
enable versioning on source and keeping versions in a hidden sub-folder of the base folder with a maximum for 5 versions to be kept for 1800 days. I then modified an xls file in the source folder and ran the profile. The destination folder shows the modified new file correctly but I can't find the previous backup file anymore. I thought based on the above I would keep 5 versions of any file? I tried looking for the hidden files by Ctl + run but no file is shown.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Versioning

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
I wanted to keep 5 weeks of backups I would set this up accordingly. I would end up with 5 full backups, clearly marked by their individual time stamps and once I hit week six, the oldest gets delete
To keep multiple backups copies of your data you can either add variables like %WEEKOFTHEMONTH%, %DAYOFMONTH%, %DAYOFWEEK%, %DAYOFWEEKNAME% etc., to your destination path or enable Versioning in your profile configuration.

For example: You can add variables like %DAYOFWEEK% or %DAYOFWEEKNAME% to your destination path and schedule the profile to run 5 days a week - to keep 5 full backups of your data on the destination.

Please read this forum post for more details:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... 937#p47937

Alternatively, if you enable Versioning in your profile configuration, SyncBackSE will create version of a file before a file at your Source/Destination is replaced, deleted or moved by the actions of the profile, and store the version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Source/Destination path.

Note that if you plan to use Versioning with a default Backup or Mirror (Right) profile/s, you should turn on Versioning on Destination, instead of Versioning on Source.

Versioning on Source (or Left) will only be activated if files on Source/Left are replaced or deleted by the actions of the profile. It's designed mainly for Intelligent Synchronization profiles (when stuff might be changed / copied to (or deleted from) both sides (or) useful when you run a Backup or Mirror profile in restore mode).

It will normally do nothing in a Backup or Mirror (Right) profile run, because they only copy files one way / only change stuff on Right/Destination. Since the files are not replaced (deleted or moved) on Source, versions are not created on the Source side. So, I would suggest you to enable Versioning on Destination and test the profile run to see if it resolves your issue.

Thank you.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Swapna,

ideally I would like to enable versioning via the profile and enter my preference in the gui. I have now changed my preferences to have versioning only enabled on Destination and storage to hidden sub-folder of the base folder - 3 versions to be kept for 14 days (this is for testing).
While I am making progress, I am not there yet :?
I can see the hidden folder on the destination drive and opening it, I can see two files in there, ie those that are older versions. How would I read the added numbers to the file name - do they provide some additional info that might be useful. E.g. one file is now called XYS.161128084336.xls - it seems the first part is the date, not sure about the rest of the numbers.

Trying to access the previous version via the mode explained in the help file, ie Ctrl + run does open the differences window but no file is shown there.
Any suggestion why?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The versioned files created will be of the format "FileName.YYMMDDHHMMSS.FileExtension" (The timestamp appended is in UTC/GMT).
Trying to access the previous version via the mode explained in the help file, ie Ctrl + run does open the differences window but no file is shown there.
You have to run the profile in restore mode to access or restore your files from version files. Please read this KB article for more details on how to do this:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... sion-files

Thank you