Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Error Message

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
mouse

Error Message

Post by mouse »

Just wondering if someone can explain a failed backup that generated the following error message:
Failed to copy from Source : Cannot copy file (2): The system cannot find the file specified The file may have been deleted between the time it was scanned and the attempt to copy it was made
The file referenced is still in the source folder and rerunning the profile it is now also in the destination folder. What happened when the scheduled backup ran and why does it suggest the file was deleted?
While someone was working on that file at the time of the backup, the file was not deleted.

Also, when looking at the log files on the main page , I noticed a list of files with the following comments:

a)
The files are identical. Versions available.
or
b)
Only in Destination
as I expected only backups, I was prepared for a) but concerned that I have files only in b). Apart from me at some earlier stage having transferred these files accidentally ( find it hard to imagine how I could have done that given the issue affects a number of different folders), what else may have caused the files to be transferred instead of to be backed up?
Checking the log records I can see I have three logs available (is that something that can be configured?) and the number of skipped files changed from 107 three days ago to 112 two days ago.

Can someone please shed some light on how to read these changes. Obviously something has been happening before today when I got an error alert and this concerns me. These are scheduled backups and I assumed after having cross-checked some files the first time I ran the backup, things could go on autopilot unless I got a warning.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Error Message

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Error messages:

Failed to copy from Source: Cannot copy file (2): The system cannot find the file specified The file may have been deleted between the time it was scanned and the attempt to copy it was made

are usually caused by files which were present during scan time but have since been deleted (or moved) by something else before the copy stage. However, as stated in your post if the file referenced was still in the source folder before and after the profile run, then we may need a support zip with debug logs to better understand the problem. Full instructions to create and submit a support zip are given here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ation-file

If your Zip is over 30MB, contact us for alternate instructions, advising the actual size. Do not try to attach to the ticket!

Do not post (nor links to) Support Zips on this open forum.
The files are identical. Versions available.
simply means that the Source and Destination files are identical (its last modification date/time stamps and sizes are identical on both sides), and there are version files available for that referenced file in a hidden $SBV$ folder (this is because you have enabled Versioning in your profile configuration and SyncBack creates a version of a file before the file on the destination is replaced by the actions of the profile).
Only in Destination
means the file exists only on Destination but not on Source, hence it is skipped (note that a backup profile does not delete anything on the Destination that is not on the Source, so the files that exists only on the destination are skipped). In addition, please read this KB article to understand the common reasons for ignoring or skipping a file:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ng-skipped
Checking the log records I can see I have three logs available (is that something that can be configured?)
The number of log files to keep for each profile can be configured globally from:

SyncBack’s main-interface > Preferences menu > Log Settings page

Also, you can override this setting in each profile under:

Modify profile > Expert > Log settings page

Thank you.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Swapna,

many thanks for your response and the advice provided.
Before running the debug, I would like to poke around a bit myself just to rule out that I am myself to blame. Can you please clarify if there is any easy way to see which items at the destination do not exist on the source? If I can use of the logs or some information to see which files are only on destination, I could check these files individually to see if I had intended to delete these on source and if not, transfer them back. In other words if my log tells me 102 files have been skipped and of these maybe 30 have the notation "only at destination" can I assume that any other file covered by the task is still on the source? While I can check and modify a limited number of files, the overall number of files covered by my backup would be tens of thousands of files, so I would need to know where to look for problems.

I have now changed my log file retention, so that too should help in future.
Kind Regards
Mouse
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

If the Decision-Files settings page (of your backup profile) was configured to ‘skip’ the destination ‘only’ files, then they will be included in the Skipped section of the log file. So, you can open the ‘Skipped’ section and search using the keyword ‘Only in Destination’ for the list of files that are only on the destination side (but not on Source).

If you have further questions, please contact us directly through our support ticketing channel ([email protected]) with your profile configuration and log files to better assist you.

Thank you.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Thank you - will do.