Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Automatically disable profiles when another is run, then re-enable them when another/others is/are run?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
EazyCheeze1978

Automatically disable profiles when another is run, then re-enable them when another/others is/are run?

Post by EazyCheeze1978 »

Hi all! Hope you are having a wonderful day! I'm on the trial of SyncBackSE right now, and am very seriously considering buying a license for it soon; I have enjoyed Free for so long, and have recently become aware of several features of SE that I need in my operations. (Where possible I've called them out, though I am aware of dozens more features that could also be very useful to me.)

To explain my subject line: Is it possible to automatically disable one or a group of profiles when a separate profile is run, then re-enable said disabled profiles when another separate profile (or group of profiles) is run? (Disabling and re-enabling of profiles is of course an SE feature)

For example:

* I have an HTPC (Home Theater PC) set up (or very close to being set up) with many files including some that must be updated separately.

* The content for the aforementioned is stored in backup on my portable hard drive, with the relatively fewer files that must be updated separately on a flash drive, which is very light and easy to carry, not especially fragile.

* When I want to update the backup with the content that is on my local hard drive, I use SyncBackSE (used to be Free)'s Mirror to copy and delete files to update the backup. (Is Intelligent Synchronization (SE) more efficient for this? Have not tried it.) (Also SE's multi-license for $39.95 is something that appeals to me greatly.)

* When I want to update the HTPC with the content that is now on my portable hard drive (won't happen too often as the drive is somewhat fragile to carry a lot), I have a profile for that purpose there, as well as several profiles in two groups to, upon insertion of the flash drive,
- First restore the newest versions of the files from the flash drive, if they have indeed been changed,
- Then back up those files that will be changed on the HTPC, to the flash drive.
These operations are configured to run quietly, with no interaction from me, such that my entertainment flow is not interrupted.

* What I noticed last time I performed the said update this morning was: The backup profiles, which are configured to sense changes in those relatively few files (SE feature!), activated and attempted to copy the files from the update (not the newest versions of the files) to the flash drive, which, because it wasn't connected at the time (serial number identification of drives, another SE feature!) did not work, and I was able to abort them. But that is not the desired behavior for my setup...

* What I want to do now, is I want to disable the backup profiles automatically when I run the main update profile, and keep them disabled until the Restore profiles are activated. Then when all of them are run, re-enable the backup profiles so they do not overwrite the newer versions of those files which must be updated separately, but are re-aligned with the files which were copied from the flash drive.

If this is confusing to anyone, I apologize. I'm starting maybe to think Intelligent Synchronization might be the way to go for my situation... Is this correct? And if so, is there a way to easily migrate the profiles from Mirror to Sync without having to delete and re-make them?

(To be clear as well: I can manually disable and re-enable the backup profiles as needed, but if there is a way to do it automatically without having to remember to, that'd be great.)

Thank you all for reading my super-long explanation of my problem. I hope that you all can help me, and I hope that I can grow to become a productive member of the community! :) Take care, all.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Automatically disable profiles when another is run, then re-enable them when another/others is/are run?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

To disable backup profiles automatically when running a restore profile, you can try adding these command line strings:

“C:\<Installation path of SyncBackSE>\SyncBackSE.exe” –disable “Profile1” -disable “Profile2” -disable “Profile3”

“C:\<Installation path of SyncBackSE>\SyncBackSE.exe” –enable “Profile1” -enable “Profile2” -enable “Profile3”

in the Program-Before & Program-After sections of the main-update profile. You have to replace <Installation path of SyncBackSE> with the path where you have installed SyncBackSE on your computer and Profile1, Profile2, Profile3 etc., with the name of the backup profiles, that you want to disable (or enable) before (or after) the main-restore profile run. Note the above command line string will call a separate instance of SyncBackSE to disable/enable the profiles via the command line.

If you have two or more profiles to run in isolation, then you have to add -disable command line string in the Program-Before section of the first profile and -enable command line string in the Program-After section of the last profile.

Finally, please note that we have just released a new beta version, to refresh the UI automatically when a profile is enabled/disabled via the command line. So, I would suggest you download and install the beta version from here and test the execution:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe

Do not uninstall and reinstall, or you'll lose your profiles & settings. Just install 'over the top'.

Thank you.
EazyCheeze1978

Re: Automatically disable profiles when another is run, then re-enable them when another/others is/are run?

Post by EazyCheeze1978 »

I will certainly try that the next time I have an occasion to update the HTPC. Didn't know you had those command-line parameters! That's handy. And I'll try the beta version out, but a question: Does the change in this beta just update the GUI in the prior instance if it's already being shown? If I hide (minimize) that instance and then restore it, will it update by itself (if it's not the beta version)? Or does the refresh key (F5) update the profiles?

Thanks again! :)
EazyCheeze1978

Post by EazyCheeze1978 »

(Doesn't look like I can edit my post so I will pseudo-edit and say that I was able to test out my question in my previous post and yes, F5 updates the profiles correctly. Lots of typing to put in that command line, but it's worth it if it saves things from being overwritten. Thanks! :) )
EazyCheeze1978

Post by EazyCheeze1978 »

(And I tried the beta out, and it's as you said, the GUI is automatically updated with the changes brought on by the second instance of SyncBackSE. Awesome! Now, is it advisable to revert to the release version to continue normal operations, or should I stick with this? Will I be notified when the full release of 8 happens?)
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved.

You can continue using the beta version until the next release. When a new version is available, you will be notified via the forum, website and newsletter.

Thank you.
EazyCheeze1978

Post by EazyCheeze1978 »

You're very welcome! And if I choose soon to buy the license and enter the key, will then the key be carried back to the release version when I install that? (Of course keeping in mind to install over and not uninstall the program, as I don't want to lose my precisely-crafted profiles! :) )
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Yes, the serial number can be used for the next release.

Thank you.