Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Moving instead of copying - what exactly does this do?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
jmoney

Moving instead of copying - what exactly does this do?

Post by jmoney »

I have 60gb of files and I reorganized them on my source, putting them in new subfolders, etc. Now SyncBack is saying it has to delete almost 60gb on destination and copy 60gb from source. I thought the option "move the file instead of copying it" would take care of such scenarios where folders change?

Otherwise it appears I'm going to use 60gb of bandwidth simply due to restructuring my folders?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Moving instead of copying - what exactly does this do?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The reason why SyncBackSE is proposing to delete data from destination and recopy again (in a Mirror profile) is explained here:

viewtopic.php?t=12467&p=47656#p47656

Please note that the option “Move the file instead of copying it” under:

Modify > Expert > Decision-Files > ‘What to do if a same file has been changed on Source and Destination’

will move a file from Source to Destination, only if the file exists on both sides and is changed since the last run (i.e in the last modification date/time stamps or sizes). But this option cannot be used to move a file from an old sub-folder on destination to new sub-folder. Please read the help file for more details. With Decision-Files settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.