Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Locked files via FTP

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
sattesonjr

Locked files via FTP

Post by sattesonjr »

Hi,

One of my SyncbackSE jobs is to back up several websites via FTP. While it does a great job of backing up files, I usually get an error per server because it cannot access one of the webserver log files (it is open and locked on the webserver). I have no control of what files are locked on the server, other than at least one of the log files is usually locked when the server is running. (I wish the FTP server simply wouldn't list locked files that can't be accessed, but it does, and I can't change its behavior.) I would like to backup as many of the log files as possible so that we have a solid history, but it's barely worth the annoyance of reviewing the SyncbackSE errors every day, just to verify it's the same log file error on every server. Note that the log file names are randomly created by the server, so I can't just elect to exclude a certain known filename. Also, many different log files are created on a daily basis (and they are not locked), and I still want to back them up, so I have to enable backing up of new files within that directory.

Is there any way to make SyncbackSE consider file copy errors within a certain directory to be considered only warnings and not errors? I realize the grave perils of such a setting being universal, but I'm thinking with certain limitations, it could be quite useful. Perhaps it could be used in combination with other conditions such as "ignore the first x errors within directory \wwwroot\logs\yyyyyyyy".

SyncbackSE already has so many options that I figured I could find a workable solution, but I have been unable so far. Perhaps I'm just not creative enough or looking deep enough.

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution? Thanks in advance!
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Locked files via FTP

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The only situation in which a file copy error can be recorded as warning is - when a file (usually a temporary file) cannot be copied because it has been deleted (or moved) by something else before it could be copied to the destination, which can be configured under Modify > Log settings page. But other file copy errors (e.g. caused by a locked files) are recorded as errors, this is due to safety reasons and to prevent the occurrence of any risky or unforeseen situations in the future.

However, I will pass your request to the relevant department for their review.

Thank you.