Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Client Computer Backup folder on WHS 2011

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
dhochmuth

Client Computer Backup folder on WHS 2011

Post by dhochmuth »

I am using SyncBack SE v6 on a Windows Home Server 2011. I want to backup the Client Computer Backups folder which the WHS 2011 OS creates and maintains. As far as I can tell, the OS adds some files daily and then, in my case, does a backup "cleanup" once a week. Many of the files remain unchanged during the cleanup but the dates are updated to the date of the cleanup. Many of the files are changed as well, but you cannot tell because the size does not necessarily change.

I am trying to mirror the folder (for offsite storage) and used the more slower more accurate change comparison to generate the backup. The first time every file was copied and it took 6-7 hours for 1.3 TB of data. The next time I ran the backup (after a WHS 2011 Backup Cleanup), comparison took several hours as expected. It identified about 200 some files (out of about 500) to update. I then completed the run and SyncBack SE did indeed skip the files that were the same, but left them with the old date whereas the files on the source have, for the most part, dates reflecting the latest Backup cleanup. So my backup is not really a mirror because there is a date discrepancy on about 300 files).

The only solution I can think of is to brute force a complete new mirror once a week, but I'd like to avoid the long run times (and comparison times) if possible. Is there another solution?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Client Computer Backup folder on WHS 2011

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

You can configure the last section of:

Modify > Expert > Decision-Files settings page to > Rename file on destination and copy properties to destination

Then, if SyncBack detects the two files (Source and Destination files) have identical contents, then it will simply copy the file properties from Source to Destination.

Thank you.
dhochmuth

Post by dhochmuth »

Thank you. For whatever reason I had not been able to find that in my searches.

FWIW I have two suggestions for 2BrightSparks:
  • 1. I'm not sure about others, but to my way of thinking copying the properties should be the default setting for mirror operations.

2. As a person with limited experience with SyncBack, I find that the large number of options create a steep learning curve. While the manual and help text are good at explaining what each option does, I often find myself asking what is the purpose or in what situations would I use either option. If you don't already have them, I believe a number of case studies of various situations (with a complete listing of the settings) could be helpful. That would better explain why one would choose to use certain options in certain situations.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I will pass your suggestion to the relevant department for consideration.

Thank you.