Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Filter help

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
LFNfan

Filter help

Post by LFNfan »

Hi

I am trying to define filters for my backup profiles, and struggling. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have the following folder profiles and structures, Movies and TV:
Source \\Server\Movies\
Destination J:\

Folder structure in Movies is:
\101 Dalmations\101 Dalmations.mkv
etc etc
\A Space Odyssey\A Space Odyssey.mkv
etc etc
\Whats New Pussycat\Whats New Pussycat.mkv

In Movies I have two profiles, one to back up folders starting 1 - N, and one to back up folders starting O - Z. I am running into the limitation of the File and Folder selection which is that any new movies also need their boxes checking manually. I'd much prefer to succeed with a DOS Expression Filter. What I have is the following pairs:

\1*\
\1*\* These work. But I can't bring myself to replicate the pair for 0-9 and then again for A - N. Then again for O - Z.

\[1-5]*\
\[1-5]*\* These don't work, even though the Help file suggests that they do. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am clearly missing something...

\\d*\
\\d*\* These don't work either. I thought that \d was the most elegant way of expressing a digit. But no joy. Perhaps because "\" is confused for a child folder starting with "d"?

Folder structure in TV is:
\A Bit Of Fry And Laurie\Season 1\A Bit Of Fry And LaurieS01E01.mkv
\A Bit Of Fry And Laurie\Season 1\A Bit Of Fry And LaurieS01E02.mkv
\A Bit Of Fry And Laurie\Season 2\A Bit Of Fry And LaurieS02E01.mkv
etc
\Yes Minister\Season 1\Yes Minister S01E01.mkv
\Yes Minister\Season 1\Yes Minister S01E02.mkv
etc

Again, I have two profiles, one to back up A - N, and the other O - Z. I have tried to use the same filters as above. The single character filters work, and seem to catch all the season sub-folders and files. The [A-N] variants do not work.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Paul
LFNfan

Re: Filter help

Post by LFNfan »

OK, I figured this one out. I had not expanded and changed the 'More Options' dialogue box in the filter. It was set to use the default 'DOS expressions' which I belatedly realised can't resolve [0-9] or \d etc etc. I switched to 'Regular Expressions' and [0-9] [a-n] etc works.

For reference, at the moment my regex is:
\\[0-9].*\\
\\[0-9].*\\.*
\\[A-N].*\\
\\[O-Z].*\\.*

etc

There is a very handy regex tester website which I used to work this out.

Hurrah for Syncback.