Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to open a .bwt archive when profile do not exist anymore

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
fds8

How to open a .bwt archive when profile do not exist anymore

Post by fds8 »

Hi,
I am a very long time user of SyncBack and this is the first time I have a question to ask to the community.
The problem is that I have archive/backup files compressed with Burrows Wheeler algorithm (.bwt file extension).
The profile which make these files is gone.
But I would like to open some of these files to recover a specific file inside.
Synback is officially the only application which can do that, but how to create a profile to restore the content of these files ??
Any help would be very much appreciated
Cheers,
Frederic
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: How to open a .bwt archive when profile do not exist anymore

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

1. Create a new profile in SyncBackSE with Destination pointing to a folder where .bwt files are stored, and Source to a folder on your local drive where you want to restore files.

2. Modify the profile > go to Compression settings page > enable the option 'Compress the files on destination/right into a Zip file'. Configure the Type of Compression (Burrows Wheeler) and Level of Compression and other settings (e.g. Encryption) as per your original profile (the profile that you have used to compress the files).

3. Run the profile in 'Restore' mode, to restore files from the destination to source.

4. Restore wizard will analyse your profile settings and ask you a set of questions on how you want the files to be restored. These steps are to avoid unnecessary overwrite or deletion of files on your Source. You can either answer the questions or click on 'Restore Now' button to start the restore process immediately.

However, I suggest restoring files to an empty folder on your Source drive (using the 'Restore To' option available in the Restore Wizard). If files are restored correctly, then you can try restoring to your actual source location.

Please read the help file > Using SyncBack > Basic Operation > Restoring a Backup for more details. You can also perform a Simulated Restore and check the Differences Window to understand the list of files that will be restored during the profile run.

Thank you.
fds8

Re: How to open a .bwt archive when profile do not exist anymore

Post by fds8 »

Hi,
Thank you for your very detailed response. I will do that.
I asked the question because I was expecting some 'hidden' utility to just open the archive (like 7zip).
Thank you so much
Frederic