Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Getting FastBackup to work

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
beneix

Getting FastBackup to work

Post by beneix »

I have set up a profile to run a daily differential backup from my laptop with a full rescan every Monday. This doesn't seem to work properly - on Mondays, the size of the backup is about 187GB and on the other days the size is 61GB. The thing is, the source is a computer where not much data changes every day so for 61GB to be backed up every day clearly means something is amiss in how SyncBack determines which files have changed, or in what Windows is doing on my source laptop.

When I go in and look at the actually backed-up files in the destination, I see that directories have a modified date that would explain why they have been included, yet none of the files in the directory have been modified for years - and when I look at the same directories' modified date in Windows on the source computer, these directories have not been modified lately.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I am using the following Fast Backup options: Perform a fast backup / Differential backup / Delete all the files... / Force a rescan when %DAYOFWEEK% = 1

This is how SyncBack summarizes the profile (some data anonymised with "XXX"):

Files will be mirrored (Fast Backup) from XXX user docs (C:\Users\XXX\) to QNAP (\Backup\X552CL\%DAYOFWEEK%\ [\Backup\X552CL\7\]).
QNAP is on an FTP server (192.168.1.65).
If the same file has been changed on both XXX user docs and QNAP then the file on XXX user docs will replace the file on QNAP.
Files only on XXX user docs are copied to QNAP.
Files only on QNAP are deleted.
If an empty directory is only on XXX user docs then the decision is automated.
If an empty directory is only on QNAP then the decision is automated.
The following files/folders will be ignored: *\$RECYCLE.BIN\,*\*.SBSECOR,*\AppData,"*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\parent.lock",*\desktop.ini,*\DfsrPrivate\,"*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\","*\Local Settings\Temp\","*\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\",*\RECYCLER\,*\SBSE____.*,"*\System Volume Information\",*\System32\Msdtc\MSDTC.LOG,*\thumbs.db,*\Windows\csc\,*\Windows\debug\NtFrs*,*\Windows\ntfrs\jet\,*\Windows\Prefetch\,*\Windows\Registration\*.crmlog,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory\,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog\,*\Windows\sysvol\staging\domain\NTFRS_*,*\Windows\Temp\,\hiberfil.sys,\pagefile.sys,\PGPWDE01
The profile is stored in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Getting FastBackup to work

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Can you please submit a support ticket to [email protected] with your profile for investigation?

Do not post (nor links to) profiles on this open forum.

Thank you.
beneix

Post by beneix »

Thanks Swapna - I have sent an email to your support address.
chris012

Post by chris012 »

I want to fast backup to my HP laptop because my data is very important and my business files are in the Laptop so kindly tell me about fast backup I am very thankful to you.
Last edited by Kostas on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL spam
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Please read our 'Fast Backup' article for more details on Fast Backup and the procedure to create Fast Backup profile in SyncBackPro/SE versions:
https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... ackup.html

Thank you