Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Can't find $SBV$ folder in the Source

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
00Buck

Can't find $SBV$ folder in the Source

Post by 00Buck »

Running SyncbackSE V8.9.15.0 32 bit
I've been a SyncBackSE user forever. I use it daily to run a number of backup profiles. I have a pretty basic question, but I'm really stuck.

I've set up a test. On my Windows 10 desktop, I have two folders. Source and Destination.
I've set up a Profile called Testing. It is set up to Mirror the Source folder to the Destination folder.
I have Versioning setup as well. I have it set up for versioning on the Source as well as Versioning on the Destination. Both are set to: "In a hidden sub-folder of the folder that contains the original file".

I am able to see the hidden $SBV$ in the Destination folder. I am NOT able to see the hidden $SBV$ folder in the Source folder. I have no idea why, and this is my problem. I do have my system set up to be able to view all hidden files and folders.

Thanks
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Can't find $SBV$ folder in the Source

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBack creates versions of a file on source/destination only if files on that side are replaced, moved or deleted by the actions of the profile. If your profile type is a Backup or Mirror (right) profile then you will not normally see version files (or $SBV$ folder) on source as these profile types always copy files in one direction (i.e. from source to destination).

Versioning on Source (or Left) will only be activated if files on Source/Left are replaced or deleted by the actions of the profile (for example when you run a backup or mirror profile in restore mode). It's designed mainly for Intelligent Sync profiles where files may be changed or copied (or deleted from) both sides.

Thank you.
00Buck

Post by 00Buck »

I can work with that. I'll find a workaround for the way I'm doing things. Thanks.

Ideally, this is what I'd like. On the source, if an excel file, for instance, is changed, I'd like to have SyncBack create the hidden folder and file versions based on the versioning rules that I've set up for it when my backup (mirror) profile is run.

As I understand your explanation, that really can't happen. As it's designed, Syncback will create the hidden versions folder and changed files on the destination only.

What's confusing is why exactly is there the option in the versioning section for enabling versioning on the source, since Syncback won't honor my commands when running my backup mirror profile?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The Versioning feature is useful to create version files when you run the same Backup/Mirror profile in restore mode.

Thank you.