Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Limit number of backups (when use compression)

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Dav64

Limit number of backups (when use compression)

Post by Dav64 »

Hello,

I activated a compressed backup profile with variables like this:

Backup-%DATE%--%TIME%.zip

and I get several Zips with date and time. Example:

Backup-18-09-2021--07-25-12.zip
Backup-19-09-2021--10-57-30.zip
Backup-20-09-2021--08-42-25.zip
etc. (I just realized that I had a hundred of them...)

Each backup creates a new ZIP with date and hour. That's OK.

Now, I would now like to keep only the last 15 ZIP backup.

I was using CopianBackup previously and there was this setting available : "Keep only X backups".
But on SyncBack SE, I don't see where this setting is available and if it is possible to do it.

Thank.
Dav64

Re: Limit number of backups (when use compression)

Post by Dav64 »

This is my solution !

Since I can't find an option to limit the number of ZIP backups, I modified the variable. Instead of writing :

Backup-%DATE%--%TIME%.zip

which gives me an infinite number of ZIPs, I simply set that only the month is part of the name :

Backup-%MONTH%%.zip

So I will have only 12 zips at the most, one per month. At the beginning of each year, the first ZIP will be overwritten and so on. For what I need to do it's fine (mirror mode + zip compression and keep only 12 zips backups). Maybe my idea will help you to do something similar!

I found the list of accepted variables here :
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/variables.htm#weeks