Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Preserve Folder Modified Timestamp

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
MrMystery

Preserve Folder Modified Timestamp

Post by MrMystery »

Hi,

Is there a way to preserve the modification (as well as creation) date of a folder? I've just done a large restore and this information wasn't copied. (Or perhaps it was, but then overwritten by the act of copying files to the folder.)
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Hi

None of the SyncBack family touch or change the Last Modified date of a folder in any way at any time. Nor do they copy it anywhere. Basically they ignore it and concentrate on the files. The dates are therefore exactly as Windows creates them or updates them. The behavior will obviously depend on whether or not the folders existed previously or not. The same applies when backing up, so the LastMod date may well not have reflected the LastMod date of the Source folder anyway (it might have been set to the date of creation, for example).

Windows' own behaviour is a little odd, too.

If you Modify a file inside the folder, the LastMod date of the folder is not affected.
If you replace a file in that folder with a different version (like a backup would), the LastMod date of the folder is not affected.
If you copy a new file into the folder, the folder's LastMod date is updated by Windows - presumably because you have increased the file count inside it, so a property of the folder has been modfied. But curiously this doesn't happen if you replace a file called (say) populate.txt (1KB) with a different file also called populate.txt (22KB, created for the occasion), even though that alters the Size & Size On Disk properties. Go figure...
MrMystery

Post by MrMystery »

Thanks, I appreciate the informative response.
Zodler
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Preserve Folder Modified Timestamp

Post by Zodler »

Any update on this? Version 7 is released. Do the newer versions support to preserve the modified date of a folder?

When I backup, the modified dates of the source folders are not passed to the destination.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

Modify profile -> Expert -> Search -> "modification" -> 3rd hit -> switch off 'Ignore directory...'

I assume it's set to Ignore by default for legacy reasons (so no change from previous hard-wired behavior unless you opt for it)

Be very sure to read the contextual Help on that settings page which describes why Windows itself may unilaterally overrule the property-setting you asked for.
Zodler
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Zodler »

I have version 6 currently and it's not in it. It's available in version 7? And how does it work? In every sync if a folder modified date is changed, it modifies the folder date in the destination?
Zodler
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by Zodler »

Just upgraded to SyncBackPro 7. I disabled "Ignore directory modification date & time changes". The creation date of Folders are copied correctly, however the folder modified time is still the current time and not the time of the source folder.