Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Need recommendation for backup software

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
christkenddy

Need recommendation for backup software

Post by christkenddy »

I'm trying to set up an automatic backup to my external drive, but the Seagate software it comes with isn't to my liking. Ideally I'd like software that doesn't create a new directory for every iteration it backs up, and a bonus would be not having an unnecessarily long path of folders to reach the actual data. I realize that this may not make it too easy to restore from backups automatically, but can anyone recommend any good software?

Thanks in advance.
christkenddy

Re: Need recommendation for backup software

Post by christkenddy »

Please someone help if it is possible or at least reply to my post... Thanks.
Muad`Dib

Re: Need recommendation for backup software

Post by Muad`Dib »

SyncBack (all versions) backs up individual files, so this is not the place to find recommendations for other brands of file-by-file backup software.

However, if you're looking for software that creates a backup of an entire drive (this is sometimes called an image backup), my personal recommendation is TeraByte Unlimited's Image for Windows (the complete package is called TeraByte Drive Image Backup and Restore Suite). Their website is www.TeraByteUnlimited.com. It has a LOT of options, which can be overwhelming, but you can run it in "Simple Operations" mode to start with, to get used to the most commonly used settings. Later on, if you want the most flexibility, you can start scheduling backups, writing scripts, etc. Their forum does provide tech support (both from other users and company employees) and is normally quite helpful (the company also provides email support).

I've been using Image for Windows for close to 20 years and it is very reliable (of course I'm going to be somewhat biased in favor of the program because I'm so familiar with it after all these years). They update the software about every 6 to 8 weeks (not all updates are necessary, I often skip some unless it addresses a known problem I have). They only charge an additional fee (if I remember, it was 50% of the normal price) when there is a major update (I think the last major update was at least 5 years ago).

There is no free version, but you can use the trial version for 30 days before you have to buy it. A license costs $50 ($60 if you add their boot management software). For home use, one license allows you to run it on up to 5 machines. For work use, you need to buy a copy for each machine. BTW, buying Image for Windows includes the Linux and DOS versions of the program.

There are a lot of other image backup programs, some free, some not. Other people are going to have their favorites, but whenever you read a recommendation for a backup program, make sure of two things:
  1. They have been using for awhile (at least a year).
  2. They have successfully restored a backup (and didn't have any significant problems with the restore). The restore can be because they HAD to do so, or simply that they tested it out to make sure it will work when needed.
A review for something as important as backup software by anyone who hasn't met the above criteria isn't worth that much (even website reviews that briefly look at the various features are less useful than someone who regularly uses the software over time). What good is backup software if you're not sure it can restore?

Since you can try it for 30 days before you have to pay for it, I would suggest you give Image for Windows a test run and see if it does what you need (and is easy enough to use that you feel comfortable with it).