Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Add Date

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
waltbell

Add Date

Post by waltbell »

Is it possible to create a new file and append current date to the new back up files :?: This would help in archiving files
DennisK
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Add Date

Post by DennisK »

Hi Walt!

I don't get, what you're planning. Will you rename the archive-files?

Checkout variables in the help-file. You can use them for example, when you're creating ZIP-Files for the files to backup, if this could be your plan.

In most cases I would recommend backup-versions. You can rollback to a specific date within the Restore under the "Basic"-Tab. The versions are stored close to the latest files in a hidden folder.
Sn3akyP3t3
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Add Date

Post by Sn3akyP3t3 »

This sounds like a desire to have the backup file renamed after backup is complete to include the date in the file name. I'm not sure exactly what value that provides as the date of backup is visible in SE, but perhaps not easily seen at the folder viewing the backups.

I guess you could write a post processing script in a programming language of your choice such as PowerShell or Python and rename the files after backup, but I'm pretty confident that will ruin your ability of using SB for restore and also may case SB to lose track of the backed up file and make a new backup every time it runs. For this reason I wouldn't advise actually doing this.

I would also suggest use of the built-in versioning feature if that helps.