Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Has it happened again: spam to my 2BrightSparks email adr.?

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
xor

Has it happened again: spam to my 2BrightSparks email adr.?

Post by xor »

Hi,

I just received a spam email to the email address I use exclusively for 2Brightsparks (forum & product registration).

The spam subject was "Replica-SHOP : Luxury Watches, Bags, Shoes".

Could it be that again email addresses have been leaked or stolen after I had to change them in 2010?

Anybody else experiencing this?

Cheers,
Olaf
mike
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Has it happened again: spam to my 2BrightSparks email ad

Post by mike »

Hi Olaf, although I responded to you in a support ticket you raised at the same time, I'll provide a more general response here for those reading this post.

I can assure users of our forum, support ticketing, and store customers that their email address has not been compromised. On 2 February 2010 we did however discover that iContact, the company we use for our newsletter subscription service, had a security breach, and we notified users on this forum within hours of this occurring:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtop ... =18&t=7005

Olaf's email address was subscribed to our newsletter subscription service, and that is the reason he regrettably received Spam.

Once again, I am sorry that the consequences of that breach continue to affect some users like Olaf long after the event, however I am pleased to report the frequency of reports we receive from users experiencing this problem is now very low - fewer than one every few months, and for a newsletter subscription list in the tens of thousands we're thankful the level is not much higher.

We remain vigilant in our security procedures, and continue to work with our service providers to do our level best to prevent any data falling into the wrong hands. Please contact us immediately if you believe you have received emails as a security breach in one of our services:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/contact-form.html

We will immediately investigate the matter and seek to resolve any security issues that occur. I repeat, we will continue to do our very best to minimize the chance of a similar problem arising in future.

Kind Regards,

Mike de Sousa
2BrightSparks Pte Ltd
http://www.2brightsparks.com

Power with Ease - Indispensable Utility Software
Laster4

Post by Laster4 »

Hi,

Since June 6th of this year, I'm also receiving SPAMs to the email address I use exclusively for the newsletter (4 spams so far).

Similar thing happened in February 2010 due to iContact as mike described, so I changed my address last year to another "exclusive" one, but now I'm getting SPAMs at this NEW address.

It seems your newsletter provider had a problem again.
mike
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mike »

Hi, I am sorry you too have received Spam emails. We have been in communication with iContact about this problem for some considerable time. To this date we have not received an adequate response from them, however we are continuing our efforts in getting to the root of what occurred at iContact during early June.

Thank you for your additional report which is helpful as it provides supporting evidence that we will present to iContact. Although to date we have received very few reports of the problem, we are acutely aware there are likely others who are receiving Spam, and we are therefore working hard and have tightened up security even further since my last post on this matter.

I have sent you a private email with additional information about what action to take so you do not receive further Spam to your email address.

Once again I apologise for the inconvenience this issue has caused.

Kind Regards,

Mike de Sousa
2BrightSparks Pte Ltd
http://www.2brightsparks.com

Power with Ease - Indispensable Utility Software