I'm sure this won't be trivial but I'll still ask: Multi-threaded FTP.
I have a need for large daily file synchs across two servers (about 35,000 files ranging in size from 8 to 64k get copied). If I use SynchBack Pro to do it - which I prefer because its the most solid and reliable option I have found for FTP backup - we are looking at a considerable time to get all the files from A to B. So much so as to make it unusable for the job.
However, if I use a competing product - FTP Voyager Scheduler - I can designate up to 10 threads for use in the transfer. The whole process rockets down to 30 minutes when I set it for what is effectively 10 simultaneous downloads.
Multi-threaded FTP is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to an FTP transfer. If you have a half dozen or more files downloading at the same time, its almost fun to watch while you think about how long it would take with a more typical FTP program. That aside, the practical benefits are of major significance. In this case, its the difference between being able to use the program I prefer - Synchback Pro - to one I don't because with SynchBack the files can't be available in time.
The bandwidth issues that once made this feature somewhat problematic have essentially disappeared now that everything is on a nice, obscenely fat broadband data pipe (my home connection is faster than the one at my office).
Any chance of working this in? It would be a huge boost to your ability to move FTP data.
Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:
- This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
- If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.
- If you are entitled to technical support then please submit a support ticket. Please do not post the same question to the forum and also via a support ticket. Once again, 2BrightSparks does not provide technical support via this forum.
Feature Request for FTP Backup
An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:03 am
- 2BrightSparks Staff
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:02 am
Re: Feature Request for FTP Backup
It's already on the ideas list - but it's a long list...
2 posts • Page 1 of 1