Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Improvement: no scan folders on host when one-way backup

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
tombert

Improvement: no scan folders on host when one-way backup

Post by tombert »

I would like to submit an improvement suggestion:
When doing one-way backups from source to host only, SyncBack still scans all folders on the host. In my case some folders already don't exists on my local source so it seems unnecessary to scan them, even worse theses folders contain lots of small files SyncBack keeps scanning them for some 10 Minutes (in my case).
This would improve speed alot.

thx
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Improvement: no scan folders on host when one-way backup

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Check out the Help in the commercial versions and the Knowledge Base on Fast Backup (search the KB for 'fast').

This is a commercial-versions-only feature, and will not be added to the freeware. Free 30-day evaluation of the commercial versions is available, and can be installed in parallel with the freeware (if applicable - you don't specify)

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html
tombert

Post by tombert »

I do own the commercial version and the "fast" options do not tell anything about this behaviour I see ...

The fast backup option says:
... Because of this SyncBackSE should be able to remember what files, and directories, are on the destination without needing to scan it to find out...

But this is not what I want, it would mean that if I delete files manually on the destination SyncBack would not notice.

Still SyncBack scans folder on the destination which do not exists on the source - this I want to skip and is something completely different to the fast backup.

thx
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Then you need to tell it not to scan those folders on Destination only - via Choose Subdirectories and Files. You may need to shift-click it (as per the Help) to get it to display folders only on the Destination if it is a Backup, but a Mirror or Sync profile should always show both sides by default. Bear in mind that it will need to scan the Destination to find them to list them, but thereafter/future runs - assuming you de-select them - it will Ignore them (and not recurse into them during the scan)
tombert

Post by tombert »

I think I got your point, but let me conclude:

source folders:
-root
--folder1
--folder3
--folder4

destination folders:
-root
--folder1
--folder2
--folder3
--folder4

SyncBack now scans folder2 because it needs to list them.

Your suggestion to disable the scan for folder2 is a bit of ugly workaround, at least for me because I have selected to backup the root folder ... it would mean that I need to manually keep track of folders no longer existing in my source, forgive me but this is SyncBacks job.

I have selected to "Skip the differences screen", so in my opinion it could skip scanning folder2.

Anyhow, please understand it as an improvement suggestion, not as an support inquiry.

thx
P00PDOG

Post by P00PDOG »

I have run into this exact same issue and I have to agree with tombert. I have gone ahead and removed folders from the destination but I will have to do this weekly just to not have the destination folders (that are not on the source) scanned. I had a different issue that I had contacted support about and was trying to explain what one way synchronization meant to me. Dude got a little miffed that I had asked if SyncBack Pro had one way synch capability. What one way synch means to me is that I have files and folders in my source, I don't care what is in the destination unless it matches what is in my source. There are those of us that manually delete files in the source but not in the destination as an archiving solution. For my environment, I move the archived files into weekly folders on the destination before deleting on the source. Why scan the destination for everything if you only want to see if your source files are there, if older, overwrite. I don't see a lot of people asking for this but this makes sense to me. I came to SynchBack Pro because I was tired of scripting XXCopy to do this for every new account that we got, the one thing about XXCopy that I did like was that it only compared what was on the source. Anyway just my two cents, I am a full license user, just bought 3 commercial licenses for starters.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, I understand. It's a tricky one to implement due to the way SyncBack is designed internally. Also, I can see side effects on some options, e.g. it wouldn't know about all versions, or that a folder isn't empty, etc.

Having said that we've added it to our list to see if it's something we may be able to add in future.
P00PDOG

Post by P00PDOG »

Thank you for taking the time to consider our request....Thats all one can ask for.. :D