Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File Move Wizard

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
SLRist

File Move Wizard

Post by SLRist »

I use SyncBack Pro all the time for backups, and I also like to use it when moving large quantities of files around so that I get confirmation that they were moved successfully and I don't get OS errors when too many files are moved at one time. I can also see in the log what happened during the move if there were errors.

It would be really nice to be able to invoke a move easily without having to create a backup and then customize the options to 'Move'. This would either be via an additional Wizard, or maybe even a drag & drop when holding down a particular function key.

Thanks.
SLRist

Re: File Move Wizard

Post by SLRist »

Oh, and before I forget. It would be nice to be able to queue a batch of moves to happen in sequence with a number of control-key + drag & drops, then kick off the move once they've all been queued.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

I believe someone (one person. IIRC) asked for something similar a little while ago (not Move, specifically, just 'backups' via context menu in Explorer) and the developer mentioned he'd add it to the 'ideas list'. But I have to warn you

a) that is a very long list (we have a 'top 500', believe it or not)
b) it may well depend on the number of people asking for it
c) not all ideas make it to 'production'
d) we are very busy right now with the forthcoming SE/Pro V6 launch (also the add-on enterprise management service & console that the Pro V6 version will support). And no doubt will be for some time while wrinkles are ironed out.

I suggest you therefore don't pin your hopes on anything in the near future, sorry. But thanks for your feedback :)
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

I came here to make this same suggestion, and i think it should be very high in the top500.

The first thing i do every time i buy a new harddisk is always a little re-organizing. The problem with that is that i don't fully trust Explorer with a large number of files, long filenames, difficult characters etc. Also the lack of pause, stop and continuing where you left off is troubling. But mainly the safety, see when i move files to a new disk i plan on leaving them there permanently and they will be the new 'originals' that i will backup from, so i need to be absolutely sure they've been copied without error. That's why i always turn on Verify.

I'm already very pleased to be able to safely copy/move files like this with a new profile, but it could be so much to the point. I believe it would seriously improve the program and expand the target audience by implementing this as some kind of Safe Transfer feature. Another nice logo for the Features page on the website ;).

I hope i don't get in trouble for mentioning, but there is a program called TeraCopy that does something like this and it's very popular. (But don't worry, i prefer using SyncBack Pro now that i bought it.) Maybe you guys can buy the brand from them or collaborate. I recommend to try it and you'll get an idea of what kind of feature we mean. It would definitely bring the program to a higher level imho. If any higher is even possible. ;)

Cheers [-o<
jsmply
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jsmply »

I agree that this would be a great feature. Personally I use it in the manor that Morice describes and like the peace of mind that a quick verify can be done where Explorer can't. Granted it could be done manually, but SyncbackPro just makes it all in one step.

Couldn't this easily be accomplished via a pre-written move profile that once requested, it just asks you to plug in the source and destination and it does the rest on it's own?

I've often wondered why Syncback (especially Se/Pro) doesn't include some pre-written profiles that can be setup by answering one or two simple questions. Perhaps this could be one of them?
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

So it's been a few months now. Any chance we'll see this or similar Safe Tranfer tool any time in the future ?
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Checking with MickyJ, he's trying to get back to this, yes.

(Sorry, had a lot of (cough) 'fun' with cloud issues, including a complete 'rub it out and draw it again in Delphi' moment in the meantime - then, of course, the new bugs in the new code...)

It's likely to start small with an Explorer shell extension that lets you select a folder and then run a profile using it (as Source or Destination). Then we'll see how we go.

As usual, no promises or ETA yet, but it's still on the list
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

Thanks. That's good news.

So let me get the picture here. I'll right click a folder and select 'Backup/Move with SyncBack', then be asked to select a profile (or create a new one), then select the destination/source and voila.

Sounds like a good start to me !

Maybe, as it's meant to be quick, a standard copy and move 'preset' would be most convenient (plus a checkbox with the option to verify), while keeping the use of a full custom profile optional.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, this isn't set in stone yet, but it will probably work like this:

- In SyncBackPro (not available in SyncBackSE) there is a new settings window you get to via the main menu

- In the new settings window you can define the menu items that will appear in the context menu of Windows Explorer when you right-click on a folder (or drive). You can define as many as you like for whatever profiles you like.

- For example: you have a profile that backs up to an FTP server. You can choose that profile and then state that the folder selected in Explorer is the source (it could be the destination instead if you were copying files from an FTP server).

- You can also define some of the command line parameters, e.g. run in unattended.

- So now when you right-click on a folder in Explorer, you could simply select something like "Backup to my FTP server" (you define what the menu text is) and it will run the specified profile with that folder as the source.

So you aren't prompted on anything as you'll have already defined if the selected folder is the source or destination. And of course you can defined if it runs unattended or not etc.

This will work on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

I see. And i do have the Pro version. :)

So in that example, it knows the selected folder/drive is the source because in that profile only the destination has been defined.

What if both or none are, because the goal for me wasn't to reach a existing backup profile more easily (although that is a superb feature by itself), but to perform a basic file/folder/drive copy (or move) to any location while utilizing all the benefits of syncback rather than windows explorer. Just for the (basic) abilities to pause, verify, and handle long paths and difficult characters, with the option to be packed, encrypted or whatever. So it's more about the how than the whereto.

But all that i assume *would be* possible with a predefined profile or two, but it would have to at least prompt for a destination.

Maybe in that settings window you mention, it could have a dropdown behind each context menu item with 1. Selection is source, 2. Selection is Destination, 3. Promt me.

In any case. Sounds like something too valuable not to implement at some point. Only question is when the time can be invested in it. :wink:
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

*And ofcourse 0. Automatic (default), because it knows what to do when one is empty, and it will have to prompt anyway when neither or both are already defined.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

A beta version is now available which adds the shell extension. You can download it here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... _Setup.exe

To set this up you need to go to Preferences -> Window shell extension settings in the main menu. You can then define which profiles you want to appear in Windows Explorer (when you right-click on a folder) and what to do with the selected folder.
morice
Advanced
Advanced

Post by morice »

Man you're quick. And it works too! I moved a folder's contents to another as prompted via the shell extension, with verify. And it seemed faster than when i copied the file there with explorer. =D>

It even works packed as a zipx file (without the actual .zipx extension tho). However, only when set to 'selection is source , ask for destination'. When i use 'selection is destination, ask for source' it asks for a destination instead. Which in the profile is set to .zipx at the end, so that's probably conflicting.

I don't know if features always go through or not when they're in the beta, but thanks anyway it looks great so far.

One thing that came to mind is the option to make it not cascaded, and/or customize what it's cascaded behind. (as it is the 'in explorer' part of the sentence seems a bit redundant :wink:)
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

We've made a few bug fixes and improvements and have uploaded a new beta.

IMPORTANT: After installing the new version you must select Preferences -> Window shell extension settings in the main menu. Doing this will update the shell extension. As Windows Explorer will be using the old shell extension you'll probably be told you need to reboot, in which case you must do for the installation to complete.

As not everyone will use the shell extension we've set it up so that it is only installed/updated via Preferences -> Window shell extension settings in the main menu. This avoids people having to reboot when they aren't even using it.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Please check to make sure you're using V6.2.0.2 beta because V6.2.0.1 had a bug where sometimes failed to update the shell DLL.