Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SyncBack suggestion: Delete files no longer in profile

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
Willyv

SyncBack suggestion: Delete files no longer in profile

Post by Willyv »

Most of my backups are to large USB disks with plenty of space but I also back up my most essential files to a 16 GB USB pin. Of course this will run out of space from time to time and I then modify my profile to exclude some files or folders from the backup.

The problem is that files that were previously in the profile but that I don't want to back up anymore will remain on the destination. I have to delete them manually to free up the space I need, which can be quite tedious.

I understand the safety aspect of this. SyncBack shouldn't just go about deleting backed up files on its own, especially since the files in this case still exist on the source.

But just like I can set up rules to decide which files to keep and delete in other situations, I'd like to be able to decide that files which are no longer in the profile should be deleted.

I suggest adding the following new function under Decisions – Files:

What to do if a file exists on [destination] but is not in the profile

o Delete file from [destination] if it hasn't been modified within the last XX days

o Prompt me (skips file if run from command line)

o Do nothing, skip the file

When a user has decided that files that are no longer in the profile should be deleted from the destination, it would be good if the profile run could delete these files (and other files to be deleted) as the first step in the profile run. Space will then be made available on the destination before copying new files. Maybe SyncBakc already does this.

Willy
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: SyncBack suggestion: Delete files no longer in profile

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Sorry, not compatible with the internal design. When you modify your profile, you are telling it to ignore such files (on both sides). This is a design decision.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index ... rticle=281

The less tedious way to remove unwanted files (compared to cherry-picking & manual deleting) is to simply delete all of them, then re-run the backup, and go do something enjoyable while it runs. Let the software do the work.
Willyv

Re: SyncBack suggestion: Delete files no longer in profile

Post by Willyv »

Thanks Dave, I see your points.

Willy