Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

ext. drive letter change - Syncback crash

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
uke

ext. drive letter change - Syncback crash

Post by uke »

Hi. Win10 changed my ext. backup drive letter so I changed it back to initial one. After doing that, Synckbackfree crashes instantly (closes down) after I run my two saved profiles for that hdd (mirror and backup). I'm not sure If that is the issue, but I cant find anything else that could cause that kind of behaviour. Both Hdd's are healthy, data on them accessible, and if I make new profiles for involving hdd's (using the same source folders and different destination folder) it runs OK. I haven't had any issues running saved profiles so far. Today I updated to V10.1.24.0 but Synckback still crashes. Could anyone give any advice what to do?
Thanks, U
wagentje

Re: ext. drive letter change - Syncback crash

Post by wagentje »

I have the same problem. Syncback cannot back-up anymore, because it cannt find the destinationletter. I discovered the letter changed, when i used an USB stick. Windows gives it a partitionletter, so the partiondestination/file destination in Syncback chances too!

Problem is now: does Windows reset the original Letter of the destinationfile? NO! I have to addapt the ten's of letters in the plan of Syncback.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

To force Windows to assign the same drive letter see:
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... 3000335729

If using SyncBackSE or SyncBackPro see:
https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... en-unknown
uke

Post by uke »

@mmullins_98 thanks for your suggestion. I do have all my external drives (except usb dongles) set to have permanent drive letters.

As I said, when hdd's were plugged in, Win10 somehow changed their (permanently) assigned letters without me doing anything. After that I set their letters back to what they were at the begining (through cmd and disk management) but despite all the paths beeing correct again, SyncBackFree cant execute saved profiles anymore. Please note that other all other software I have is able to access (linked) data on these hdd's.

I did a short test and intentionally changed drive letters on another ext. drive and then set it back to initial letter. Than ran saved profile.Same result, SyncbackFree crashes. I'm using the free version of SyncBackFree so maybe there are some limitations regarding the free version?

@wagentje, try changing your ext. drive letter back to initial one as mmullins_98 suggested and then rerun your profile. Please reply back if it solves your issue.
Casa-Nova

Post by Casa-Nova »

HI,

First, sorry if my english writing look weird... I do speak french and I don't write often in english... :wink:

I had the same problem and I found a way to bypass the problem....

I have 2 NAS hard drive on my network and when I restart Windows, I never sure which letter is assigned to both disks. So In my profile, instead of using letter, i use the name of the disk that you found in section "network' of Files Explorer. Those names never change...

I did attach a print screen that show where to get the names which is better than my explanation...

Hope it will you.

Robert
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-01-31 105715.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-01-31 105715.jpg (56.51 KiB) Viewed 4254 times
uke

Post by uke »

@Casa-Nova thanks for your suggestion.

I found the cause though - one of the folders on "Source" obviously broke bad (became infinitely recurring directory tree) that's why SyncBackFree kept crashing. I deleted that folder and everything works again.

It would be great if that kind of errors could be written in the log file, currently they're not.