Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File conflicts problem from network drives

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
piggy

File conflicts problem from network drives

Post by piggy »

Long time user of this software here, never had a single problem backing up from network drive to local drive, local drive and network. I usually do Specular copy, then every type of backup always worked fine.

Then now, for the first time, I configured a planned Specular copy from a network drive in a location and another network drive in another location initialized by a Windows machine in the network.

I got no problem at all in doing this but the file conflicts problem with the profile every time it is run, even if the files in the destination are perfectly identical, he always want to copy again everything and not just what was modified, changed, created on origin to destination.

The problem is every time the profile is run: like I anticipated, it not just modify/add/delete the files in destination folder automatically (like it happen when I do run a similar profile from the local hard drive to a network drive or from a network drive to a local drive), every time it copy again everything on the destination, deleting obviously what it need to delete, doing everything diligently but it every time copy everything, so considering the folder is around 1 TB it takes a long time even on a fast network and a very fast fiber connections.

Now I don't understand why, what I can do to fix it, what option will resolve the problem considering if I examine the origin and destination files it want to copy again, are the same, same date, same time, same localization, same name, same file system even (both the drive, origin and destination, are on Synology NAS stations running on Ext4 file system).

I hope Ive been clear in explaining what happening.

Can you help? Thank you.
piggy

Re: File conflicts problem from network drives

Post by piggy »

I solved it by myself bypassing the Windows pc and SyncBackFree and do it internally from one NAS to the other.

So, with SyncBackFree I send the first backup from one pc to one NAS and from one NAS, internally I send the backup to the other NAS via fiber optical connection.

I also find a way to do it from SyncBackFree checking Ignore "file modification date & time changes" from Date&Time option under profile settings, then - after it - I had a Scan Directory error with the schedule of the profile. So I cut it short and did a better and clean job doing this from inside the NAS with the internal Synology backup software and that works like a charm.
liame

Re: File conflicts problem from network drives

Post by liame »

Hello,

Instead of using the Specular copy method, consider using a synchronization method such as "Mirror" or "Incremental" backup. These methods compare the source and destination files and only copy the changes, making the backup process more efficient.