Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Automatic backups no longer work

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Lup1n2023

Automatic backups no longer work

Post by Lup1n2023 »

Hello. We've been using SyncBackFree very successfully for years but in early December the automatic backups ceased to work according to the schedule we had in place. I now run the backups manually once a week, which is ok but it would be more convenient if the schedule worked. Could the reason for this sudden change be that in early Dec we set up a password for Windows on our desktop pc? Has this somehow disabled the backup schedule? I've looked through the SyncBackFree user manual and there is a suggestion that this might be the case. Would anybody have an idea how I could reinstate the automatic backup process? I would be very grateful for any help with this.
Muad`Dib

Re: Automatic backups no longer work

Post by Muad`Dib »

It's almost definitely what you thought - you added a WIndows password, and unless you're already logged on, SyncBack needs the password to run the backup. Check out page 80 of the v10 manual (PDF page 85).

If you're the only user and you're almost always logged on, then it's easier to just choose the option in the Schedule|Settings screen "Run only when the user is logged on". On my home and office computer (where I am the only user) I choose this option, since there are very few times when I'm not logged on to those machines.

On other computers at work that have multiple users, I will ask SB to run the backup even if I'm not logged on. Then I have two choices:

1) Remove the Windows restriction that prohibits scheduled tasks to be run with blank/empty passwords. I do NOT choose this, because I have no idea how it might affect other (non-SyncBack) scheduled tasks I already have.

2) If you answer "No" to the above choice, then a prompt will appear asking for your current Windows logon password (this is similar to when using Windows Task Scheduler outside of SyncBack). Put in your password and click OK. The backup should now run as scheduled. You may want to set it to run in a few minutes and then log off to see if it runs correctly while you're logged off.

The main downside to option #2 is that you need to remember that you chose it, so that if you change your Windows password, you'll have to enter the new password in SyncBack to get the automatic backup to work again (this is no different than if you run other scheduled tasks using Windows Task Scheduler).

See if my instructions and page 80 of the manual gives you enough info the get your automatic backups to work again. If not, post a reply here, and I (or someone else) may eventually follow-up with more info.
Lup1n2023

Post by Lup1n2023 »

Hi Muad' Dib and thank you SO much for your very detailed, super-helpful reply.
A couple of days after I posted my question I did in fact do exactly what you suggest and it worked. So I'm happily back on scheduled backups now.
Thank you very much again for taking the time to reply to me so helpfully.
Doc_Ben

Post by Doc_Ben »

I have the same problem. However, I upgraded (sic) to Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago. I just noticed that no backups were running and that nothing was scheduled. I am not using a Windows Password. Do I have to re-schedule everything?
Lup1n2023

Post by Lup1n2023 »

Hello. I am no expert in this matter but having found success after reinstating our schedule, my guess is that yes, you would need to set up your automatic backup schedule again. It seems that any change to one's system (setting up a Windows password in our case or upgrading in yours) disables the automatic backup function and any previous schedules.
Doc_Ben

Post by Doc_Ben »

Having no other options but having a file copy of the schedules, I re-created each profile.

Ran into a problem about 8 of the 17, which forced me to find a work-around, i.e. delete the profile, delete the entry Windows Task Scheduler, re-boot (may not have actually been necessary), then re-create the Back-up profile and schedule.

Took awhile but seems to be working, I'll need to check some monthly Back-ups in a few weeks.
Lup1n2023

Post by Lup1n2023 »

Interesting. Thanks for coming back on this. I hope it's worked.