Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Schedule Error (exception 2). Unable to go to Schedule menu

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
khan150

Schedule Error (exception 2). Unable to go to Schedule menu

Post by khan150 »

Hi,

I am testing this backup tool for my office. If it works out we will get the pro version installed. I have installed it on my coworkers' laptops, but everyone has the same issue: It won't let them go to schedule menu. This is what comes up if we click on the Schedule button:

I redacted the domain/username. Their environment is Windows 7 64bit. We tried downloading the schedule.reg from the 2BrightSparks website and ran it, but to no effect. Any help?
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Schedule Error (exception 2). Unable to go to Schedule m

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Hi

I can't read the full error message - can you clarify? Note that the KB article I think you are referring to cites a different error ('the request is not supported'), so may not be relevant (I'd need to check)

Is the user an Administrator? You generally need to be to create Scheduled Tasks in Windows 7.

Note that as we say in various places (including the 'front door' to this forum section) "Note that [SyncBackFree] is not an evaluation version of SyncBackSE/Pro". You can evaluate SE/Pro free for 30 days anyway.
khan150

Post by khan150 »

Dave Wilkins wrote:Hi

I can't read the full error message - can you clarify? Note that the KB article I think you are referring to cites a different error ('the request is not supported'), so may not be relevant (I'd need to check)

Is the user an Administrator? You generally need to be to create Scheduled Tasks in Windows 7.

Note that as we say in various places (including the 'front door' to this forum section) "Note that [SyncBackFree] is not an evaluation version of SyncBackSE/Pro". You can evaluate SE/Pro free for 30 days anyway.
Hi Dave,
I guess the image was not resized to fit the forum window. But if you click on this link http://i.imgur.com/oF3HbCm.jpg you can see the full message. I talked to the IT guys and they said the users are admin.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

Can you send an unredacted copy (and a link back to this thread) to our non-public Support Area (click the Contact link on right)? The development department will likely want to see if there is anything unusual about the username part of the string.

We'd also need a Support Zip (created by using the Technical Support Wizard - on the Help menu of SB) of a profile you are trying to Schedule that spawns this error.

Note that this will create a ticket, which Freeware users are ordinarily not eligible to do except by invitation, which this post duly acts as. It does not, however, create a precedent for submitting tickets for any other freeware issue, for you or for any other user.
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

BTW, I'm guessing the underlying problem is that Windows is having problems creating the equivalent of

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\PCNAME-USERNAME

(that is to say, it's the Windows Scheduler feeding that error back, and we're only quoting what it said). This might be linked to privileges and/or policy (GPO). You would need to check they have the appropriate privileges as per User Rights section here

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... uler-fails

(or, GPO, if that applies). Note that it is often apparently not enough to add a Group that users are a member of, and you need to add them specifically/individually by username.
khan150

Post by khan150 »

Dave Wilkins wrote:BTW, I'm guessing the underlying problem is that Windows is having problems creating the equivalent of

C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\2BrightSparks\SyncBack\PCNAME-USERNAME
You are correct with that. The unredacted looks like (using dummy characters)

"2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\ABCAMERICA-SALKHAN"
khan150

Post by khan150 »

I will do the GPO settings thingy and report back :)
Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins »

It might also pay to check the physical permissions of the \Tasks\ or \2BrightSparks\ folders direct. (Check also whether the \2BrightSparks\ subfolder even exists).
khan150

Post by khan150 »

Dave Wilkins wrote:(Check also whether the \2BrightSparks\ subfolder even exists).
This was the offending error :D

The directory did not create for my co-worker. She had to manually create the folder structure in Windows/System32/Tasks folder for 2BrightSparks. So I don't get the same error again and it's allowing to proceed. But She is now getting "Access is Denied" error when trying to create a schedule after keying in her windows logon password. That is a separate issue from this, but I'm getting close!!!
khan150

Post by khan150 »

NVM got it. "Run as Administrator" allowed her to get past the access denied warning and we were able to set up the schedule. Thanks Dave :) :P
tywebb

Re: Schedule Error (exception 2). Unable to go to Schedule menu

Post by tywebb »

Hello !

We have the Syncbackpro V5 running on a view PC's. On 1 we have now this Problem. I don't know if something was changed/updated on that one.
It's running Windows 10. On another machine with 10 ist works perfect !

I have here the same Problem when trying to to a schedule, so i took this thread. I read alle the stuff, tried different hings, completely uninstalled the software and did a new installation, but ist's always the same error.

GetFolder 2BrightSparks\SyncBackPro\PCname-username exception 2: Cannot create a file when that file already exists,

The Folder which should be the Problem doesn't exist, so help is needed for me :-)
Any other ideas ??
Thanx
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Schedule Error (exception 2). Unable to go to Schedule menu

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The error message:

"GetFolder 2BrightSparks\.... exception 2: Cannot create a file when that file already exists"  

when creating/editing schedule tasks in Windows 10 was identified and fixed in one of the releases of Pro V7.

You can refer to the change history of SyncBackPro/SE here (check under the release note of V7.3.3.6):

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/changes.html

So you may have to upgrade to V7 to resolve your issue. 

If you wish you can evaluate SyncBackPro V7 which we offer a free 30-days evaluation period. Before you upgrade to SyncBack V7, please read the last section of this article (Re: "I am using V5/V6 but would like to try V7....") to backup a copy of your profiles to ensure you have a backup in case of mishaps.

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... 7-upgrades

You can download a copy of SyncBackPro V7 from here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/sof ... Setup.exe    

If you wish to upgrade to SyncBackPro V7 please visit the 2BrightSparks Upgrade Store where you will need to enter your serial number into the text field and click on "Validate" button:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/store/upgradestore.php

And, follow the onscreen prompts to pay for your upgrade.

Thank you.