Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

outlook pst open / locked error on Win startup

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Paul van Breda

outlook pst open / locked error on Win startup

Post by Paul van Breda »

Ref: outlook pst open / locked error on Win startup

(so please forgive me if my translation is not always exact regarding SBF messages in English, I only see them in Dutch).
Info: by Backup I mean mirroring, I never use backup, only mirroring
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all at the SyncBackFree Forum,

I am using SyncBackFree for some years now, much to my satisfaction, but am experiencing the following incidental but often errors since I use the program. And now finally came to look further into it for the cause and possible solution. But haven’t found my answer yet.

I often experience file open / locked errors on my SBF outlook pst backup/mirror that starts at first Win boot of the day.
One day it works flawlessly. The other day it shows errors again.
It then shows status failed which is explained in the log file by file open status. Even when I am sure Outlook has not been opened yet.

I have set the backup planning at 4.00 h. am and settings so it executes all missed backups asap after missed planned tasks. So SBF runs it’s backups ever day at first boot of my computer. This works perfectly, much to my satisfaction, except for the often PST locked errors.
All other files are backup perfectly every day.

I do understand that the SyncBack Free edition does not offer open / locked file backup where as SyncBackSE does indeed offer this feature as well. But my budget is limited. So I am looking for another solution or work around.
But I would also like to understand why it so often fails one day and succeeds however all the other times/days. What causes it to succeed one day and fail the other day.
Could it for example by caused by the different ways one can close down Windows. Should I e.g. close outlook by hand first instead of by the general close down of all windows by the start – shut down / turn off button, where windows closes all programs for me? I wonder!

I do not understand what process or service could lock the pst file at startup from windows, so very often, even when I don’t start up any program.

I have also read this subject in the knowledge base:
http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... cked-files
But have none of the mentioned search programs installed or any other as far as I know.
So I remain very puzzled by what causes these incidental errors on the pst backup.

I have searched the knowledgebase and forum for many hours today, but haven’t found my answers there yet. However I do not think I will be the only one experiencing this specific problem. And maybe it is already listed, but I just overlooked it by wrong search terms? In that case I apologies. But often there are just too many hits to examine them all. Like the needle in a haystack.

So please advise, any help or explanation is welcome.

Kind regards,
Paul
Paul van Breda

Re: outlook pst open / locked error on Win startup

Post by Paul van Breda »

Hi everyone,

I Solved above problem some time ago. But never came to it to share it on the forum. Will do so now:
However it is disappointing that no-one reacted on this subject.

I found out that SBF does not run missed tasks immediately after 1st Windows startup of the day. SBF whats a few minutes before starting missed tasks. Varying a little each time, between approx. 5 - 10 minutes after startup. That explains why the backup of outlook.pst often did succeed and sometimes not. As I have also another program running that backups outlook.pst every 30 minutes, even when open (= Safe PST Backup).

If Outlook is opened (by myself or other program) before SBF has finished that task it will of course not succeed in the backup task for PST files, as SyncBackFree cannot copy open files.

This waiting time before executing missed tasks also explains why I sometimes thought that a task had already been done (with errors), when it actually did not yet and only showed the result and date of yesterday instead of from the current day. I was so convinced that SBF would start missed tasks immediately after 1st boot, that I missed the fact that it still showed the result of the day before. My mistake / mistaken assumption.
I now check the result date more precise, to make sure I don't interpret the result date incorrectly anymore.

Thus problem cleared.

Kind regards,
Paul
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: outlook pst open / locked error on Win startup

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, SyncBack (any 'model') doesn't decide when to run missed Scheduled Tasks - your Windows Task Scheduler decides when to to do this [to run one or more copies of SyncBack to run your outstanding scheduled profile/s with]. This applies whether you have a copy of SB already running or not. SB has nothing to do with the timing of this decision.

Yes, Windows sometimes seems to have its own priorities and delays this for some time...Windows (Task Scheduler) may also decide to run all outstanding (missed) Tasks simultaneously, causing a bit of a log-jam...