Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

more then 400 critical errors

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
ftr

more then 400 critical errors

Post by ftr »

Hi,

I want to backup my zotero folders to an external hard disk but get more than 400 critical errors, with the message:

Failed to copy from Left : Safe copy failed. Failed to rename temp file: Cannot copy file (5): Access refused.

What does that means, and how treat this error ?

TIA

ftr
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: more then 400 critical errors

Post by cliffhanger »

The underlying error message is from Windows (MS error #5, as shown, usually phrased as 'Access Denied').

There is a faint chance the problem is with the 'rename over the top' process used in 2BS's Safe Copy - so check that first by turning it off (Modify profile -> Expert mode -> Copy/Delete -> Advanced -> 'Make safe copies...') and running the profile again. While you have the Advanced settings page open, press F1 for contextual Help and read what Safe Copy does, and why it is active by default. If it does not cure your issue ('was not the problem'), strongly recommend turn it back on...

If you still get an error (probably now "Failed to copy from Left : Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied", with Safe Copy turned off), you presumably have one of the issues mentioned in the 2BS KB article (2nd link above).

NOTE: do not give undue emphasis on the 'Failed to copy from Left' reference (as opposed to '...from Right'); these comments only indicate data-flow direction (for the stated file), not necessarily the side the error occurred on. 'Access Denied' can happen on either side, and the message from Windows helpfully does not specify 'where', but the location may be implicit from the operation being attempted. As the Safe Copy function only affects the 'write' phase of the copy, in your case Access is being Denied - for writing - on the Right device/resource.

It is quite rare for this to happen when trying to copy (write) to a dumb USB device (controlled by Windows), but can happen with a NAS (or, a USB drive plugged into a NAS), where some other firmware/OS has control of the device . One distinct possibility is Blocked Files (see 2BS KB article) if the zotero stuff is the result of a download or a transfer from another PC.

BTW, citing 'more than 400 errors' without stating how many files are involved in total does not help much. Readers still have no idea if that is 'all files' or only 'some of the files'.
ftr

Re: more then 400 critical errors

Post by ftr »

I come back again, as the errors remained, too. I now have 2 errors:
- a critical error : Failed to copy from Source : Cannot copy file (5): Accès refusé = access denied
- a non-critical error: Cannot get date and time of file

Profile description;
Files will be copied from Source (C:\ ... ) to Destination (F:\ ...\).
If the same file has been changed on both Source and Destination then the file on Source will replace the file on Destination.
Files only on Source are copied to Destination.
If a file is only on Destination then it is ignored.
If an empty directory is only on Source then the decision is automated.
If an empty directory is only on Destination then the decision is automated.
The following files/folders will be ignored: *\$RECYCLE.BIN\,*\*.SBSECOR,"*\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files\",*\AppData\Local\Temp\,"*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\parent.lock",*\desktop.ini,*\DfsrPrivate\,"*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\","*\Local Settings\Temp\","*\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\",*\RECYCLER\,*\SBSE____.*,"*\System Volume Information\",*\System32\Msdtc\MSDTC.LOG,*\thumbs.db,*\Windows\csc\,*\Windows\debug\NtFrs*,*\Windows\ntfrs\jet\,*\Windows\Prefetch\,*\Windows\Registration\*.crmlog,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory\,*\Windows\sysvol\domain\NtFrs_PreExisting___See_EventLog\,*\Windows\sysvol\staging\domain\NTFRS_*,*\Windows\Temp\,\hiberfil.sys,\pagefile.sys,\PGPWDE01
The profile is stored in C:\Users\Toshiba\AppData\Local\2BrightSparks\SyncBackFree\

Profile properties: Case Preserved, Case Sensitive, Unicode, ACLs, Supports Compression, Supports Disk Quotas, Supports Sparse Files, Supports Reparse Points, Supports Object Identifiers, Supports the Encrypted File System, Supports Named Streams, Supports Extended Attributes, Supports Hard Links, Supports Open by FileID, Supports Transactions, Supports USN JournalPrpoerties

I read the hints that Cliffhanger provided me (Thank you :D ) but had the impression that the situations described in the Access denied page did not treat my situation: I copy from a pc hard disk C:\ to an external disk F:\ , both are NTFS hds. No network, no NAS etc.

I changed to standard Windows file copying method. Same errors as before.
I changed the security levels of folders and files on the external (destination) disk but can't mak the system retain it. I have the users: system, administrators, users, creator-owner (créateur propriétaire).
Currently, the levels of the destination folders are
- system :total control, besides special authorisation;
- administrators: total control, besides special authorisation;
- users: modifications, writing no ticked, special authorisation greyed;
- creator-owner: nothing besides special authorisation greyed.

Should I change the security levels , and if so, in which group ?

The files to be copied are not ciphered.

What puzzled me in addition is that entries in the date time stamp properties of files to be copied seem illogical to me: the created date-time is after the changed date-time.
For instance:
Created 6th Dec 2015
Changed 10th Nov 2014
Last accessed 6th Dec 2015
Date and time of created and last accessed are identical.

Does this give hints ho to overcome the problem ?
TIA

ftr