Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

First Backup - "Failure"

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Dianne

First Backup - "Failure"

Post by Dianne »

I installed and ran my first backup from my Laptop to my External Drive. After it completed it said I had 307 Critical Errors. So I go to "View Log" and click on the 307 Errors link. There is absolutely no explanation as to why there was a failure....so I have no idea what this means. Did it complete the backup without the files that are listed? The entire backup is listed as "Failure". Most of the files are "ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys" . I have no idea if these are critical files, if I am supposed to delete them, if they are infected (I did run a full malware and antivirus scan prior to the backup and it ran clean).
Totally in the dark. Not much use to an error log that does not explain the error. Am I missing something?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: First Backup - "Failure"

Post by cliffhanger »

It's a Failure because there were Errors...

Re-visit the Errors page in the log and check the right-hand column of each entry, which states the direction it tried to copy that file from (etc) and the available error messages. (Some of these messages are from Windows, and do not have much detail)

Given the example files you quoted, it is virtually certain that the errors for those files was the Windows error 'Access Denied', because...

...those files you quoted are part of the MS Cryptography sub-system, and access to them is restricted (IIRC) to the SYSTEM account (MS does not want you in there, on general security principles). The fact your profile is trying to copy them suggests you may be trying to back up your entire system, which is not what SyncBack is designed to do (not even the Pro version, much less the freeware version).