Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File copying

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
howfen.lad

File copying

Post by howfen.lad »

I have recently reinstalled SyncBackFree after reinstalling Windows and it doesn't work the same way any more.
I use it as "Mirror" to back up files to an external NAS drive. It used to just transfer files that had been changed but now it transfers all files every time. This appears to be because the files on the external drive are given "new" dates when they are copied so they always appear to be different.
From the help files, I see that this is a possibility and I have checked the requisite box under "Copy/Delete/ Advanced", but this doesn't seem to make any difference. This never happened before.
Any advice please?
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: File copying

Post by cliffhanger »

Sounds like your NAS is failing (or, refusing) to stamp the copied files 'as of' the same date/time stamps of the Source files. If the target is under Windows' control (e.g. another Windows PC, a USB drive inserted in that PC or the PC running SB...) this should be performed (by the main Windows 'copy' API that SB calls) anyway, with no 'forcing' required. But, as the legend (and the Help) for that 'force' setting states, this may not happen for some resources under the control of another system (e.g. firmware, different OS...), so you can try using the option you mentioned, This invokes a separate/additional API that specifically tries to set this stamp as a separate operation, but it may not work if the NAS firmware (or equivalent) does not cooperate.

Are there any Warnings in your log about a failure/refusal to set date/time? (NOTE: IIRC, this would only happen while using the 'force' setting, and wouldn't change any Result value - thus you need to check the log). Unfortunately, NAS firmwares that simply ignore the 'force' command (or 'silently fail', without generating an error message) are not unknown. But it's not a known issue with SB Free/SE/Pro itself, or you would presumably see a lot more posts like yours (maybe daily...), as it's obviously a critical aspect for backup software. Easy way to test is making a temp profile to copy a few files from somewhere on your PC to another (temp) folder on your PC (or, a flash drive, etc). I suspect you will find that works fine; if so, the 'suspect' is fairly obvious.

IIRC, it may be that the Safe Copy process (details in the Help, same Copy/Delete -> Advanced page) isn't correctly supported by the NAS, so that the just-forced date/time-stamp is lost again during the rename process. You could try unchecking that option to see if it helps. If it makes no difference, turn it back on (see Help on option for why)
howfen.lad

Re: File copying

Post by howfen.lad »

Thank you, Cliffhanger, I will experiment!