Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

What is the purpose of this option?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
1DumSpark
Experienced
Experienced

What is the purpose of this option?

Post by 1DumSpark »

The 'Use slower but more reliable method of file change detection' is an excellent option, and I thank you for it.

What is the purpose of the 'Always use slower but more reliable method of file change detection' option?
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: What is the purpose of this option?

Post by mickyj »

Hi, the help file has the answer:
SyncBackPro will not calculate a files hash value (to detect file differences) if it has already discovered a file is different anyway, e.g. the files are not the same size. However, if you have a (non-archival) Fast Backup profile, there may be situations when you always want a files hash value to be calculated even if there is no destination file, for example, and even when the files are obviously different. You may want to use this option so that a hash value can be used with incremental and differential backups.
ChrisW828

Re: What is the purpose of this option?

Post by ChrisW828 »

I would like it to find (and overwrite) files with the same hash value even if they have different names. Does that mean that I need to check both boxes? Is name one of the ways in which "it has already discovered a file is different"?

When I set options to use hash values, it still asks questions about what do do with newer files, older files, etc., so I'm trying to figure out what is and is not relative. I've already lost some very important files because I can't figure out exactly what certain selections do. :(

Thank you.