Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Profile fails to run on a schedule + user account issues

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Clairvaux

Profile fails to run on a schedule + user account issues

Post by Clairvaux »

Hi,

I've tried to setup my first profile. It fails to run on Schedule, despite succeeding when run manually. The error message is :
Logon failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer ( 80070569)
As an added, and probably related question, I would like to ask : what is the best way to install Sync Back Free on a single-user PC with 2 user accounts, one with admin rights, the other without ?

I almost always work under my non-admin account on this Windows 7 Home Premium PC. I think I installed SBF while in that account, although I probably had to type the password of the admin account when requested.

I followed the default install. My profile is in %AppData\Local% of the non-admin account.

My preferences, for SBF use, would be in that order :
  • 1. Have the same view of the software and its data (profiles, settings...), whether I'm under the admin or the non-admin account. Without having to maintain and update 2 separate sets of data.
  • 2. Use and manage all SBF operations under my non-admin account, where I live most of the time.
  • 3. Worst option would be having to switch to my admin account to operate and setup SBF (as opposed to elevate temporarily user rights by password, while under non-admin, which is OK).
I have read those articles of the knowledge base, but I'm still confused on the subject.

Storing the profiles in the program folder looks tempting, but it seems to be discouraged.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Profile fails to run on a schedule + user account issues

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

The error message “Logon failure user not granted logon” was returned from your Windows Task Scheduler (not from SyncBackFree) - which indicates that the user account (you are logged in) does not have access rights to run the schedule task. This KB article explains the steps to fix it:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... nted-logon

SyncBackFree (by default) stores profiles in the users private Local Application Data folder. That means, if you have installed SyncBack on a PC that has 2 user accounts, then user account A cannot view or run profiles created by user account B (or vice versa). Due to security reasons, we don't recommend Profiles to be stored under a common folder (like 'Program Files') as they can contain embedded passwords, for example: passwords for connecting to your NAS drive, FTP server etc., Hence, any other user who logged into your computer can easily copy/import your profiles into their copy of SyncBack and execute them.

However, if you want to share the profiles between users, then the only option is to set the profile storage location to 'common' (the program folder), so that all users can see and run the profiles. Also note that switching profile-storage to the program folder will only store new profiles there. You will need to Export existing profiles and Import them afterwards. You can refer to this KB article for more details:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... are-stored

But this option is only available in SyncBackSE/Pro (SyncBackFree does not support it).

Thank you.
Clairvaux

Post by Clairvaux »

Thanks for your answer, Swapna.

I finally took a different approach, and reinstalled SBF to be run under my admin account. For the time being, scheduling works properly.

I first tried the approach suggested here and downloaded the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools, since I'm under Windows 7 Home Premium and do not have Local Security Policy :

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... nted-logon

I stopped short of using it, though, because the whole thing seems rather fishy to me : use a 13 year-old utility... which Windows itself flags as not compatible... but you're supposed to disregard that and go on anyway... plus Microsoft says flat-out that it does not work with 64-bit Windows, which I use... then you need to change some obscure security parameter through a command line... isn't security there for a reason ? and how do you restore the original setting if you have second thoughts ?

Shortly after installing this Resource Kit Tools, my Internet connection stopped working. I can't say definitely this was the cause, but that's enough to put me off.

My suggestion would be to state clearly that Synck Back has to be installed under a user account with administrative rights, unless you use it really in a portable way, that is from a flash drive or external hard drive.

Scheduling is an integral part of backup. Backup is not backup without it, and scheduling does not work unless you can be sure it works unsupervised no matter what. Because men forget. That's the whole point. It has to be automatic and foolproof.

As an aside, I disapprove of 2BS presenting Sync Back as portable : if it writes in %AppData%, it's certainly not portable. It also seems to write masses of things in the registry (when installed on an internal drive). The site suggests it doesn't because the profiles are not in the registry anymore, but profiles are not the end of the story.

During my travails with SBF, I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller, who found more than 600 registry items possibly related to it. I can say for sure that there were a lot of registry items written by SBF, because they were explicitely identified with Sync Back's name, and I erased them manually.

As a result, this part of the registry is probably a mess by now, because I did not erase linked but anonymous items, and there's no telling if this will bring problems later on.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, the KB article is so we can try and help people who have that problem with the Windows Task Scheduler. I don't know what you're implying by saying something is "fishy" to you, but I'll assume you aren't suggesting we somehow put a KB article there to do harm. I tested the KB article (on 64-bit Windows Home) and it worked as expected. It does work on 64-bit versions of Windows. The resource toolkit contains many tools. Some may not work as expected on Windows 7 (hence the warning), but the one that gives access rights (which is the only one required) does work.

For a user to run a program via the task scheduler, they need the "Log on as a batch job" logon right. A logon right is part of the security settings of a user in Windows. Microsoft decided not to automatically give non-admin users this logon right. An administrator can give a non-admin user this logon right, but Microsoft did not include the tools in Home versions of Windows to allow this, hence the KB article explaining how to get around this (which, as we've discovered, resolves the issue).

Many people use SyncBackFree without an administrator account. It can work perfectly fine running as a normal non-admin user. Of course an administrator must first install it, which is the case with all software that is installed. The "No Install" version can be used when you are not an admin as you can just unzip it to a folder and not install it. As explained above, you need the correct logon right for scheduled tasks (set to run when not logged in) to run. This is a security requirement of Windows. You do not need to be an admin to schedule profiles. You simply need the logon right granted to you by an admin. This does not make you an admin.

SyncBack doesn't create any registry entries, or write to AppData, if it's run from an external drive (that Windows identifies as external). If it's run from an external drive then all settings and profiles are stored in the same folder as SyncBack. Don't confuse the "No Install" version with it being run from an external drive. If you are running SyncBack from an internal drive then it makes no difference if you installed it or extracted the "No Install" version into a folder.

It also in no way creates 600 registry entries, not anywhere near that many. Many of those created in the registry are very likely due to COM registration, and part of the installation process (so Windows knows what to uninstall), and even then it's not going to be anywhere near 600 registry entries. I've no idea what your software considers possibly to be related to SyncBack, but if you've been manually deleting registry entries based on what it said then I really hope you know what you're doing.

A lot of what you've written is based on a lack of understanding of Windows, and assumptions. You assume, when run from external, that is writes to AppData. It doesn't. You assume SyncBack creates 600 registry entries. It doesn't. You say it needs to be installed as an Administrator. Yes, all software that is installed on Windows needs the installer to be run by an administrator. That is a security requirement of Windows. If you unzip the "No Install" version into a folder then you do not need to be an administrator to unzip it to a folder of your choice and run it. You assume you need to be an administrator to schedule a profile. You don't.

However, some good has come out of this. We're going to see if there's a simpler and better way of resolving the "Log on as a batch job" logon right issue. I'm not sure there's a great deal we can do, as it's a security issue, so we can't just give the user the logon right, but we can at least warn the user and probably update the KB article.

Thanks