Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

mirror harddrive without risk of deleting my files

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
qqq

mirror harddrive without risk of deleting my files

Post by qqq »

Hi,

I am using Synyback for several years now and I am facing a problem with my current setup.

I equipped two harddrives in my computer and want to mirror one to another. So I activated the mirror function in syncback which basically means deleting files on my target disk that were deleted on my source disk (and of course copying all new or changed files).

The Problem is: My source harddrive sometimes shows some uncommon behaviour. It is still listed in windows explorer and sometimes you can even browse the system but you cant access the files.

So when my nightly backup kicks in and tries to mirror the drive it detects my disk as empty and deletes all the files on my target disk. That is kind of a worst case scenario, because it compromises by backup at a time I really need it.

I really want to avoid this to happen again. I have to trust my backup 100% and I cant ensure that my next source harddrive I buy doesnt have the same issue right before failing completely.

Is there a setting or a way to prevent such a scenario?

thx in advance
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: mirror harddrive without risk of deleting my files

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

When using a profile that will delete files (Mirror or Intelligent Synchronization), we advise users to always check the Simulated Runs or Differences Window to ensure all files proposed for deletion are correct before running the profile (as SyncBack can't recover any deleted files from your Source or Destination).    

SyncBackFree has an option to prompt the user if a profile is about to delete all the files 'in scope', which is 'on' by default and if the profile is run unattended, it will abort the run.

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Warn me if all my files are going to be deleted due to my settings (aborts profile if unattended)  

However, it's possible that only some folders were reported as empty or not present on one run, and the others were on another run, then the 'all files' condition will not be satisfied on any one run. In such a case, you can consider changing the option "percentage of files to trigger the warning" to 25% (or 0%, instead of the default 100%) under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Warning settings page

So that, a warning message is raised (or the profile will be aborted in unattended mode) when 25% or more files are proposed to be deleted during the profile run.      

Thank you.
qqq

Re: mirror harddrive without risk of deleting my files

Post by qqq »

Thank you Swapna for your fast response and your hint about the "xx-percentage-deleted" feature. I guess that will work for me just fine since I dont change a large amount of files each day. I will try to figure out a percetage that fits my needs.

I really enjoy using syncback as my backup software. Keep it up =D>

Thread can be closed now.