Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Newbie questions, how to get started right

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Judy in Texas

Newbie questions, how to get started right

Post by Judy in Texas »

I would like to do data backups, and I want to make the right choices of settings.

I want to make a "base file" that backs up my selected folders.

I then want to make incremental backups that do not delete files from this base, that copy all of the data files that are new or changed since the last run.

I also want an option to make a "new base file" that will copy all of the data files at that point and make a new archive *without deleting the original all-files backup*. Then I would delete from the computer the files that I don't want to have underfoot every day, and they would stay on the backup disk (in the "new base file") in case I do need them again. I would then back up the computer data again to create an "even newer base run". The future incremental backups would refer to the "even newer base run." One goal is that I want the backup software to *not* delete files that it saved on a previous "base" run -- I may want them archived.

I hope this is clear. I would really appreciate your advice.
perkin-warbeck

Re: Newbie questions, how to get started right

Post by perkin-warbeck »

I'm a new user myself, and I had questions similar to yours. I found that the best way to figure out how to implement a particular scheme is to experiment. I made a folder on my computer called "test" and I created folders within it, and sub-folders within those folders. I text files containing one word, "text".

1 Run a profile of type BACKUP. This will replicate your test folder and its contents on the destination

2 Change the profile type to Mirror so that only changes will be mirrored on the destination.

3 Make some changes to your files and folders (additions, deletions, content changes, etc.) and run the mirror profile to verify that it is working correctly.

4 To create your archive, rename the destination folder and start again from step 1 with a full backup.
Judy in Texas

Post by Judy in Texas »

Thank you, perkin-warbeck, i appreciate the help. Let me see if I correctly apply your answers to what I want to do: I think BACKUP will take a snapshot of the folders, as I want to do in step one. To back up just the newer files, if I make a backup type MIRROR on the same folders, at the time I run the MIRROR it will copy all of the files that have been added or changed since the BACKUP. Then, what if I run MIRROR again? Does it make a new MIRROR file that *adds to* the earlier one, or does it create a new MIRROR file that *replaces* the earlier one?

Then, if I want to "archive" some files and keep them in a BACKUP but delete them from the computer, do I re-name a BACKUP? Or, what is the process for this?

I know I piled a lot of questions together, and I appreciate you tackling it.
perkin-warbeck

Post by perkin-warbeck »

You do a backup the first time, then change the type to mirror and keep it there for all subsequent runs. As the name "mirror" implies, SyncBack will make the destination look just like the source, and it will do so as efficiently as possible by only transferring new or changed files. If you delete a source file, that file will also be deleted in the destination.

I don't know why it's necessary to use type Backup the first time, but I believe that's what I read in the User Guide. It seems to me that mirror should do the same thing as backup as long as the destination folder is initially empty.
perkin-warbeck

Post by perkin-warbeck »

This forum doesn't seem to allow editing of posts, so I'll make a new one. To continue...

You said "what if I run MIRROR again? Does it make a new MIRROR file that *adds to* the earlier one, or does it create a new MIRROR file that *replaces* the earlier one?" What do you mean by "MIRROR file?" SyncBackFree does not create backup files, like the kind that Windows Backup & Restore creates. It is just a fancy version of the system copy command (or maybe robocopy on windows) that has a user-friendly interface and lots of options, like interfacing with the task scheduler.

After you mirror a source folder, the destination folder will look just like the source folder: it will contain the same folder hierarchy and same files inside those folders.

Again, my advice is to create a test folder with some files and sub-folders and play with the program. It's the best way to learn.
Judy in Texas

Post by Judy in Texas »

Thank you again, perkin-warbeck. I think I am ready to try it now.