Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File & Folder Selection question

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
perkin-warbeck

File & Folder Selection question

Post by perkin-warbeck »

I use Adobe Lightroom every day. When I quit the program, Lightroom saves a backup copy of its "catalog" (a kind of database). These backup copies are saved in dated folders. So, for example, last night's backup is

D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\2016-08-04\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip

while the one from the night before is

D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\2016-09-03\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip

Here's the problem. I want my SyncBackFree profile to only mirror only the latest backup. However since the name of the folder containing the latest backup is not fixed, I either need to (a) edit the Files & Folders selection for the profile or (b) rename the most recent dated folder to a fixed name, (e.g., rename folder "2016-08-04" as "LATEST"

The first solution is not very appealing. The second solution leads to naming clashes within the Backups folder on Windows.

Is there a way to do this in SyncBackFree? If not, can a more advanced version of SyncBack do it?

I have been using SyncBackFree for only a week, but I am already very comfortable with it. It is easy to use and amazingly functional.
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: File & Folder Selection question

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Seems like there is a typo in your example:
So, for example, last night's backup is D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\2016-08-04\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip while the one from the night before is D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\2016-09-03\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.zip”
you have stated the Source folder name for the last night’s backup as “2016-08-04”, but the folder name from the night before was “2016-09-03”. Please clarify?

However, if your requirement is to backup files from a folder that has yesterdays date as the folder name, then you have to use a variable in your Source path. Sorry, but a number of variables are not available in SyncBackFree (please refer to the help file > Variables section for the list of unavailable variables).

If you want to use SyncBackSE/Pro then you can consider adding variable %DATE_P% in your Source path. When the profile is run %DATE_P% will be replaced with yesterdays date (which is in the short date format configured in your Windows) and SyncBackSE/Pro will backup files from that folder to your destination.

For example: You can add %DATE_P% variable in your Source path as D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\%DATE_P%\. When the profile is run SyncBack will backup contents from “D:\Users\Perkin\Pictures\Lightroom\Backups\05-09-2016\” to your destination.

Please refer to the Help file > Using SyncBackSE/Pro > Technical References > Variables section for the list of variables supported in SE/Pro. With SyncBackSE/Pro opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

If you want you can test with SyncBackSE/Pro, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation. You can download and install latest version of SyncBackSE/Pro from here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you