Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to best backup chrome bookmarks. Just the file, not all those profile folders

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
carsten888

How to best backup chrome bookmarks. Just the file, not all those profile folders

Post by carsten888 »

I use syncback to backup my chrome bookmarks. But noticed it is 1 gb big. Turns out the backup also contains the chrome profile, as I can not select a specific file to be backedup, just a folder. I know there is suppose to be a way to not backup folders. But maybe there is an easyer way then me typing in the names of a whole list of folders?

C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: How to best backup chrome bookmarks. Just the file, not all those profile folders

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

To copy only the 'Bookmarks' file from Source to Destination

1. You can add an inclusion filter:

*\Bookmarks

to 'File/Folders to copy list' on the left side of the Modify > Simple > 'Change Filter' settings page. Then click on OK button to close the settings page and confirm any questions you may be asked about excluding any matching files.

Note that when you click on OK button you may receive a Warning message from SyncBack saying “Warning! It looks like your filters are just for files…...” - you can ignore this warning, as you want to copy only a single file from the Source root folder but not from sub-folders of the root.

As filters and file/folder de/selections are inter-wired, and if a conflict exists, de/selections override filters. A conflict can be deliberate (in which case you can think of it as an 'override'). Do note that if you add, remove or change any Filters, when you close the Filter dialog, the program will re-scan the file/folder de/selections against all current filters (inclusion and exclusion). Bear in mind that you will be asked again once it's re-scanned whether to include/exclude files/folders that are currently in scope which matches your inclusion filters (which should now be included, or vice versa for exclusion filters). You should generally agree to this, as selections override filters, so if you do not, they will remain un-selected and thus will still not be copied (or vice versa).

2. Alternatively, you can simply deselect unwanted files/folders from:

Modify > Simple > “Choose sub-directories and files” settings page

and select only the Bookmarks file that you want to copy to the Destination.

Thank you.
carsten888

Re: How to best backup chrome bookmarks. Just the file, not all those profile folders

Post by carsten888 »

yeah that worked. 2 was easyest by far. thank you.