Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

File Decisions - Left to Right only if newer

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
OceanBagel

File Decisions - Left to Right only if newer

Post by OceanBagel »

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a profile that will be a one-way synchronize. That is, it copies changes from left (source) to right (destination) only if the left files are newer than the right. If the right files are newer, or the files exist on the right but not the left, I want to do nothing to those files.

As far as I can tell, there are only the options of backup (left to right always) or synchronize (newer files always), but neither of these seem to be what I want. An alternative solution would be to indicate that the source is read-only, if possible. Can I do this on SyncBackFree?

I'm running Windows 10 and SyncBackFree 7.6.36.0. I would appreciate any help I can get.
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: File Decisions - Left to Right only if newer

Post by cliffhanger »

In the SE/Pro versions, you could probably kludge it by setting your main Decisions-Files rule (top section - file on both sides, but different) to 'source always wins'

THEN, go to Compare Options > Date & Time > [BUT] 'Do not replace newer files with older files'

That would prevent older files on left propagating to right. Unfortunately that latter setting isn't available/enabled in Free.

Your Action for 'file on right only' should presumably be 'do nothing/skip'.

What you want to do if 'file on left only' you haven't said, but I assume you want to either copy it to right, delete it or skip it, all of which are possible options in any 'model'. In SE/Pro (but not in Free), you could also Move it. Obviously, you cannot do a date-based decision, as there's nothing to compare a one-side-only file it with...