Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Backup Job - Source Files Deleted Before Copy To Dest

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Zipper113

Backup Job - Source Files Deleted Before Copy To Dest

Post by Zipper113 »

Thank you in advance for replying to this inquiry.

Using SyncBackFree v7.6.50.0.

I've noticed that the changed files are deleted from the destination before the changed files are copied to the destination.

Job details:
=If file in source, but not destination, then copy from source to destination.
=If file in destination, but not in source, then delete files from destination.

Make Safe Copies = checked

I created a test folder in the source that included two test files. Ran sync job and it created the directory in the destination and then copied both files from source to destination. I then created a new folder in the source and moved one of the files in the source to the new directory. Ran sync job and the debug log shows that the .DoDelete command for the test file occurs before the .DoCopy command. This indicates that the test file was deleted in the destination first, before the file is then copied from the source to the destination. This process will leave only the single test file on the source, which is concerning as an issue may occur that corrupts the source HDD with the copy process potentially unfinished. With the only file on source, that is now corrupted, the file is effectively lost.

I must be missing a setting somewhere that performs either a "one-copy-then-one-delete" or a "copy-all-then-delete-all".

I have attached relevant screenshots.
Attachments
2017-02-05 09_36_42-SyncBackFree V7.6.50.0 - Debug Output, 1.94GB free - CPU 00.13%.jpg
2017-02-05 09_36_42-SyncBackFree V7.6.50.0 - Debug Output, 1.94GB free - CPU 00.13%.jpg (212.2 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
2017-02-05 09_32_09-Photos.jpg
2017-02-05 09_32_09-Photos.jpg (240.7 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
2017-02-05 09_28_43-Differences for profile_ Data Backup Test.jpg
2017-02-05 09_28_43-Differences for profile_ Data Backup Test.jpg (67.03 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Backup Job - Source Files Deleted Before Copy To Dest

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

As you have moved ‘TestFile.txt’ from Source root to ‘TestFolder1’, SyncBackFree applied the same changes on the Destination side (delete ‘TestFile.txt’ from destination root directory and copy it to ‘TestFolder1’). And this is because of the settings configured in the Decision-Files settings page of a Mirror profile.

However, if you do not want SyncBack to delete any file from destination, you can consider creating a Backup profile (instead of a Mirror profile). Note that a Backup profile will copy all files within scope from your Source that are 'absent' or 'different' on the Destination. It also keeps/retains those files that you may have deleted or moved from the Source on your Destination. I would suggest you to read the help file for more details about Backup and Mirror profile types. With Modify > Simple > Easy > Type settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Alternatively, if you wish you can use Versioning feature available in SyncBackSE/Pro under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Versioning settings page

then SyncBackPro/SE will create a version of a file before a file (at your Destination) is replaced, deleted or moved and store the version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Destination path. In case, a file is lost or corrupted then you can quickly rollback/restore your data from the versioned files (if exists). Please read the Help file for more details on Versioning.

If you want you can evaluate SyncBackSE/Pro, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation. You can download and install latest version from here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
Zipper113

Post by Zipper113 »

Thank you for the reply Swapna. What you have explained is factually correct.

However, I wish to know why the file on the Destination is deleted before the file is copied from the Source to the Destination. When this Destination file (or files) is deleted from the Destination first, there is only ONE copy of the file in existence...the one on my Source drive. Am I missing something?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,
However, I wish to know why the file on the Destination is deleted before the file is copied from the Source to the Destination.
This is because in a Mirror profile, SyncBack will first delete destination only files before copying new/changed files from Source to Destination (and this is by the design of our software).

Thank you.