Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Newbie questions about syncing

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
mwr

Newbie questions about syncing

Post by mwr »

I currently backup my desktop (Windows) computer to an external hard drive using WD (Western Digital) SmartWare. It backs up fine, including all the thousands of temp files created, but doesn't remove those temp files from the external hard drive when they are automatically removed from the computer. So I have to do that via a bat file.

I'll soon be getting a new laptop to replace my tower desktop computer and want to get it started right. I'd like to backup to the external hard drive but also have it sync to the laptop so that when any files on the laptop are deleted, moved, or renamed, that is automatically done to the external hard drive. Is that what 2BrightSparks software does?

I'd also like to backup (sync, as above) to the cloud. Would 2BrightSparks software do that?

What version of 2BrightSparks software do you recommend for me?

All comments appreciated!
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Newbie questions about syncing

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Only SyncBackPro supports backing-up files to cloud services (like Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc.,). You can see the list of cloud service that are currently supported by SyncBackPro here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html

Therefore, you can create a Mirror or a Intelligent Synchronization profile in SyncBackPro to sync files from laptop to an external drive/cloud server.

Note that a Mirror profile will copy all files within scope from your Source that are 'absent' or 'different' on the Destination and delete files/folders on Destination which are deleted on the Source as well, thereby making both Source/Destination a 'Mirror/1-to-1' set of each other. However, a Intelligent Synchronization profile in SyncBackPro copies, deletes files in both directions, but it also keeps a history of where files were during the last synchronization. Briefly, a Mirror profile type is 1-way synchronization, whereas Intelligent Synchronization profile is a two-way synchronization (so use this profile type only if the files are changed on both Source and Destination).

You can refer to this article for the step-by-step instructions to create and schedule your first profile in SyncBack:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... setup.html

And read this article for the steps to create a Google Drive profile in SyncBackPro:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... drive.html

In addition, please read the Help file > Using SyncBackPro > Basic Operations > Creating a Profile and Running a Profile for the detailed steps to create and run your first profile. With SyncBackPro opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

If you want you can evaluate SyncBackPro, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation. You can download and install latest version from here:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
mwr

Post by mwr »

Thanks for the very good reply. From your description, I'd be using a Mirror profile, changing only the source and wanting the destination(s) to be exact copies of that source ("synced" with that source).

How would I decide on which cloud service to backup/sync to? Do you have or know of good comparisons of them?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, but we can't provide suggestions on which cloud service to use as this is beyond the scope of our support. However, you can refer to "Pricing Comparison between cloud services" section of this link for the information about the free storage available and the price plans for different cloud services supported by SyncBackPro:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... -2016.html

If you have further questions, please contact us directly through our support ticketing channel ([email protected]).

Thank you.