Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Restore certain file types

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
fede78

Restore certain file types

Post by fede78 »

Hello everyone,
I am in great distress as I unfortunately got the terrible ransomware spora that corrupted something like 10.000 files on my many hard drives. All the files should be ok on my backup drives that were possibly disconnected the day i got infected.

I am a little afraid of connecting my external backup drives but at some point i will have to. At any rate, I need to know if it is possible to set syncback free to restore all my ,pdf, .doc and .xls from my backup drives to my source drives. I have seen there are some advanced options in the program and i was thinking of creating a new profile that would actually have as source the drive i usually use as backup and as destination my source drives.

Since my backups are not all the latest, i cannot simply use restore or i'd loose some data. Is there a way to filter and say: backup all .doc, .xls and .pdf from X: to Y: drive and if you find it already, just overwrite it?

I could not find a way to do it, i need the program to skip any other file (for instance jpg or other formats) or it will delete a lot of files that it shouldn't.

Let me know if my message makes sense, clock is ticking for me... :/
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Restore certain file types

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

To copy files of type .doc, .xls and .pdf files from your Source to Destination:

You can either add inclusion filters (e.g. *\, *\*.doc etc.,) to 'File/Folders to copy list' on the left side of the Modify > Simple > 'Change Filter' settings page or select file/folders you want to copy and deselect the remaining from Modify > Simple > "Choose sub-directories and files" settings page.

Please read the help file for more details on inclusion filters. With Change Filter settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help. You can also read these form posts for additional details:

viewtopic.php?t=12554&p=47966#p47966

viewtopic.php?t=12521&p=47816#p47816

In addition, please read these articles which provide suggestions on how to protect your important data from ransomware or cryptolocker:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... mware.html

https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... mware.html

Thank you