Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Behaviour when modifying a mirror job to exclude certain files/directories

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
mrodent
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Behaviour when modifying a mirror job to exclude certain files/directories

Post by mrodent »

This is in reference to this page http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... 1489339915 ... I also did a search on the forums, but this viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12013&p=46151&hili ... ies#p46151 doesn't seem to be asking the same question.

I think I understand the reasoning given by the Syncback team in the above article, in the general case.

But I think in the case of a mirror job specifically, surely it's a bit less clear: shouldn't you be able to stipulate: "I want all the contents of this source folder X to be mirrored to this source location Y... and by the way, if I modify this job to exclude certain directories I want these directories to be deleted at the next run.... precisely because what I'm asking for is a mirror".

To answer the specific points of the above article:

1) surely any job of any kind which proposes any type of of backup, particularly one which might involve deleting or overwriting files (i.e. most types), to a drive called "C:\" should trigger some sort of double (or triple!) confirmation every time it is run?

2) "exclusion", in the sense of telling SyncBack "not to see" a given directory or file, is extremely useful as a mechanism for the reasons outlined in the article. But shouldn't the user also have a choice of saying: "I want you to 'see' the folder in the source and make sure that it is absent in the destination."?

The reason for having this more "stringent" type of exclusion is that otherwise you sometimes do have to manually "police" your destinations... and each time you modify a job's excluded directories your safest option is then, rather unfortunately, to delete the entire destination and make it be rebuilt completely.

I just think we should have the option of making a "severe" mirror... if that's what we want!
mrodent
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re: Behaviour when modifying a mirror job to exclude certain files/directories

Post by mrodent »

Whoops! I've just seen that I asked this same question last year in the same month... and also that oceanrider posed this same question on Friday March 10 just now! Sorry!

But I still think it's valid: why can't we have a more "rigorous" form of exclusion?
Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will pass your change requests to the relevant department for their review and consideration.

Thank you.
mrodent
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by mrodent »

thanks...
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, you'll be happy to know we've added a feature to V8 (currently in beta) that should make everyone happy (including us).

In the file & folder selection window, you can now select which folders you want deleted from the destination (or source, if copying to the source, e.g. mirror left) when the profile is next run. This means we don't need to guess what you want deleted as you need to explicitly state it (so it's entirely your own fault if you choose the delete something and then are surprised when it's actually deleted). You can only choose to delete folders you've unticked, i.e. they are not part of your profile.

For the initial release it only works with deleting entire folders (and everything in them). You can't pick and choose individual files to be deleted. What is going to be deleted is not shown in the Differences window because it is deleted before scanning takes place (just like the option to delete all files & folders). However, files that are deleted are recorded in the log.